27g Hex tank suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am looking for some plant suggestions for my new project. It's a 27g hex so horizontal space is small but the tank is 24" deep so filling some of that vertical space is gonna be a challenge.

The light is coming tomorrow and it should put me at the low end of medium light at substrate.. if not I'll get another. I'm gonna be doing EI dosing of ferts and excel as a carbon source. The substrate is a black flourite.

So far the only fish I'm set in getting are some long fin cherry barbs. I don't know about what else I want yet.

My big problem is the plants so that's where the suggestions come in. Does anyone have any ideas?

I’d suggest needle leaf Java, anubias nana petite, moss of some kind, crypt balanese, crypt wendtii with some nice driftwood or rocks down each side [emoji106][emoji108]

I'm not familiar with the Balanese, how tall do they get?

I do have a 3d background that I made in the tank. I'll post a picture when I get home.

Balanese in the right conditions gets tall. My tank is only 18” so I stuck with wendtii. I have some Italian Val for real height but it’s not a broad and fussy about trimming. This tank has the wendtii in the center. Some Java fern mounted on the wood to the left. The Val is in the back right corner coming up over the rock. IMG_2028.jpg
This tank has the 2 kinda of Java on the left and Anubias on the wood. I recently have to move it as it was not happy directly under the lights. IMG_1510834717.900619.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the Balanese, how tall do they get?

I do have a 3d background that I made in the tank. I'll post a picture when I get home.

Let’s just say it will hit the surface and curl back down and touch the substrate again haha. It gets huge if you let it [emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom