28 Gallon Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkA123

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I went to petco today with my dad and he bought me a 28 gallon euro aquarium. It included a penguin 150 biofilter, stand, aquasafe water conditioner, 17 watt strip light hood, and free buy one get one free coupon for tetra food. My dad said he'd pay for the kit but I have to buy the substrate, decor, fish, heater, anything not included I need, etc. I'm going to buy super naturals sand, I'm not sure how much, jäger tru temp 100 watt heater, and I already bought some large black stones, I'm either going to use marimo balls and either more live plants or just artificial plants. I'm going to get a couple of natural looking caves and decor along with food and pure ammonia. What should I stock the tank with? I currently own a female betta I was going to put in there because she's in a 1 gallon bowl. I was also planning to get albino Cory catfish. How many should I get? I've heard they prefer schools. I have my heart set on getting albino Cory cats lol! Would they prefer sand, I also have my heart set on sand I will not use gravel! Also my mom wants something unique to put in it like snails, frogs, algae eater (I told her algae eater was out), something other than average fish. I've considered malasian trumpet snails and African dwarf frogs but snails multiply and the dwarf frogs like shallow waters because they're not good swimmers and need to constantly come to the top for air and they're very blind so they're fin nippers. What should I put in there for my mom? Maybe kuhli loaches but what are my other options? Thanks I don't want to overstock it at all I want maybe a 75 percent stocked tank and then when I get some experience stock it 100 percent! Thanks again for reading this long post!

In that tank, I would put 10-12 cories and 10-12 tetras, with your betta. That would be around 75% stocked. You could add maybe 2 african dwarf frogs but lowering the water (reducing gallons of water volume) and adding the frogs would bring you to 100% stocked or heavily stocked.

Thanks I can't lower the water level though because of my filter so what else Gould I put in there for my mom that's kinda exotic or different from an ordinary fish?
In that tank, I would put 10-12 cories and 10-12 tetras, with your betta. That would be around 75% stocked. You could add maybe 2 african dwarf frogs but lowering the water (reducing gallons of water volume) and adding the frogs would bring you to 100% stocked or heavily stocked.

Get her an electric blue ram if you can find one. They grow a couple inches and there's not aggression. I have one in my 10g and I love him.

Are they good beginner fish this is my first aquarium: to me they just look like bettas so that wouldn't be good. I love them they look so amazing but no where near me has them and my betta might confuse it as another betta and attack! But are they easy to care for?
Get her an electric blue ram if you can find one. They grow a couple inches and there's not aggression. I have one in my 10g and I love him.

Ok so I went to my local fish store (which is about 200 miles away no joke.) and bought 35 pounds of super natural freshwater sand. It was 60 dollars! I also bought driftwood and a150 watt marineland stealth pro heater, is this too much wattage? The guy said the 100 watt wouldn't work even thought it is for up to 30 gallon aquariums so he told me to get the 150 for 55 gallons. It was only a dollar more was he correct about the wattage? The driftwood I plan to put in after the cycle. What fish should I get for my mom to go with female betta, and a large school of albino Cory catfish and an assortment of other cories. She wants something other than fish like snials, frogs, loaches, eels, etc. Or a really unique fish. What's something that will go with a female betta and a large school of assorted cories mostly albino. Also what could I put in besides cories and what kind and how many of each kind of cories should I get I want the albino to be the majority. Could I put any other schooling fish in I don't want it stocked fully! I want it to be partially stocked. Thanks please name only beginner easy to take care of fish that a preferably small.

Back
Top Bottom