29 Gallon Stocking Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteWolf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon with Black Tahitian Moon Sand as substrate and live plants. The filter is a Fluval U4 (internal) that filters 260 gph. I was wondering if it would be appropriate to put an angelfish and 6 cory catfish in it. I can't seem to find a straight answer on how many gallons to allow for these types of fish.

Cory cats are fine, personally I would not keep a full grown angel fish in a 29, but you sure can. It also depends on if you want a long fin type of angel fish or not.

Would a 40 gallon be the minimum for an adult angel then? If I don't put an angelfish in the 29 do you have any other suggestions? Maybe a couple gouramis?

I would go with a couple/ few gouramis. The angel will get too big for the tank.

Would a 40 gallon be the minimum for an adult angel then? If I don't put an angelfish in the 29 do you have any other suggestions? Maybe a couple gouramis?

IMO, the minimum for an adult is 36 gallons. But don't go just off what I say.

Yes, I agree with those saying an angel would be better with more space. They are so cute and tiny in the store, but they quickly grow very large. I have an angel in my 36 gallon, I've had her about 4 years and she is probably 6-7" top to bottom. If I could afford a bigger tank for her I totally would get one because she loves to swim far and fast, often bumping into the glass or decorations, scraping her scales. But I bought her ignorantly before I knew anything about angels :(

Go with a nice mix of gouramis. They have so many variations now that are beautiful! Just stay away from the giant gouramis those guys get HUGE!! :)

Back
Top Bottom