29 Gallon stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nigoodman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys!

Im doing a fish in cycle right now on my tank.
I have 3 zebra dainos and 2 female dwarf gouramis. The fish are doing great!
Once my tank is good and cycled I want to stock it with some more fish.
I know i want a pleco. I will definitely be getting some more zebra dainos bc they're so fun to watch. But i was also considering a blue ram? I feel like with the female DGs that might be a problem. I'm open to any suggestions for my stock guys! I just love fish with personality. However i need fish that won't stress out my females.

I have two female blue rams in a 29 gallon with a variety of other fish. They all get along fine. If anything the blue rams are on the bottom of the totem poll!! Very peaceful species for a chiclid in my experience. You could add one angelfish. I also have one of those in my 29. Cories are also always a great addition. They are probably my favorite fish to watch.

I have two female blue rams in a 29 gallon with a variety of other fish. They all get along fine. If anything the blue rams are on the bottom of the totem poll!! Very peaceful species for a chiclid in my experience. You could add one angelfish. I also have one of those in my 29. Cories are also always a great addition. They are probably my favorite fish to watch.

Thank you! Thats good to know about the rams i know they'll make a great addition! And i really was considering cories but i have gravel not sand :( gravel isnt good for cories right?

Thank you! Thats good to know about the rams i know they'll make a great addition! And i really was considering cories but i have gravel not sand :( gravel isnt good for cories right?

Do you know how thick your gravel is? You are correct cories much prefer sand. I use to have mine in gravel and switched to sand and noticed a difference in their attitudes immediately! They love the sand. If it's a real fine and smooth gravel they should be okay. But sand is better. Would you ever consider switching to sand? The process really isn't that bad. I was scared to at first, but after I did it I was much more happier with my tank

Do you know how thick your gravel is? You are correct cories much prefer sand. I use to have mine in gravel and switched to sand and noticed a difference in their attitudes immediately! They love the sand. If it's a real fine and smooth gravel they should be okay. But sand is better. Would you ever consider switching to sand? The process really isn't that bad. I was scared to at first, but after I did it I was much more happier with my tank

I am scared to switch to sand and my gravel in pretty coarse i would say. And my gravel vaccum would be rendered useless if i had sand im assuming. How would i maintain the tank if i switched to sand?

Actually your gravel vaccum wouldn't be useless at all! To clean sand all you do is take the siphon off and simply use the hose to suck up the dirt. Since the opening is much smaller it's easier to use for sand. Just hover over the sand and it sucks it all up! Don't push it down into the sand like you do with gravel or else it will suck up all the sand too. Unlike gravel where the dirt gets mixed in with the stones, with sand the dirt stays on top. If you have cories they help move the dirt around to keep it circulating. I was scared to switch too! But I'm so happy I did! My tank looks way better. Anymore questions id be glad to answer! I could even upload a video for you on YouTube explaining the process.

Actually your gravel vaccum wouldn't be useless at all! To clean sand all you do is take the siphon off and simply use the hose to suck up the dirt. Since the opening is much smaller it's easier to use for sand. Just hover over the sand and it sucks it all up! Don't push it down into the sand like you do with gravel or else it will suck up all the sand too. Unlike gravel where the dirt gets mixed in with the stones, with sand the dirt stays on top. If you have cories they help move the dirt around to keep it circulating. I was scared to switch too! But I'm so happy I did! My tank looks way better. Anymore questions id be glad to answer! I could even upload a video for you on YouTube explaining the process.

You're being so helpful thank you so much! Yes i'd definitely need the process of switching explained to me since I already have fish in there. And the sand would be okay for my dwarf gouramis? Sometimes at night they are on the bottom under my driftwood

I'm sure sand is safe for all fish. If you think about it sand is in the lakes, ponds, where we find fish no? I will make a video when I get home later showing you how the process works. Since you already have fish in the tank, is there somewhere you can keep them while switching substrate?

Instead of making my own video I found a couple for you to watch.

Here is the process:

Although I'm not sure if he takes out his fish. You don't have to, but it would be less stressful for them.

Also here is a video showing an alternative way to clean the sand:

Yup I have 3 Corris, a bristlenose pleco and 3 Australian Rainbows with my 3 dwarf gouramis all in a 50 gal.

I will be getting more corris soon.

And good to know about the sand. I have as course gravel as I could find. Ill have to look into changing to sand.

I'm sure sand is safe for all fish. If you think about it sand is in the lakes, ponds, where we find fish no? I will make a video when I get home later showing you how the process works. Since you already have fish in the tank, is there somewhere you can keep them while switching substrate?

I dont really have another tank for them whenever i do work in my golfish tank i just put him in the bucket for like 10 minutes with some nice water in it

I dont really have another tank for them whenever i do work in my golfish tank i just put him in the bucket for like 10 minutes with some nice water in it

Aquarium water and a clean bucket (no soap of course) would do just fine for an hour or so depending on bucket size/ number of fish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom