29 gallon stocking plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow... they weer pretty mean yesterday. i went in to tell them, very politely " excuse me, but arent ren chromis saltwater fish?" they responded "i think we know what we're doing. they are brackish fish, so we added some salt to the tank. we're experts. thanks for your consideration." i said " are you sure? i mean, ive seen them in saltwater tanks." he was not happy. he told me that they know what theyre doing and that i should either buy something or browse. so i left

mr.waffles1842 said:
hmm. the angel may eat the cherries? uh oh. what about a red tailed shark? and as for the combo idea, again, how would a shark work out? as for the wisdom. ill PM you. lol.

I have cherry barbs and an angel. They're fine! Just make sure you have one male to two females.

mr.waffles1842 said:
Wow... they weer pretty mean yesterday. i went in to tell them, very politely " excuse me, but arent ren chromis saltwater fish?" they responded "i think we know what we're doing. they are brackish fish, so we added some salt to the tank. we're experts. thanks for your consideration." i said " are you sure? i mean, ive seen them in saltwater tanks." he was not happy. he told me that they know what theyre doing and that i should either buy something or browse. so i left

I would tell management if at all possible, and if not definitely time to go to a new store.

I'm debating on how to stock my 29 gallon. The only 100% is a beta fish (male) and 3 loaches.

I have no idea what else to stock in the tank.

Any ideas?

I like your stock setup Mr. Waffles, but I don't' think I can do the barbs as I will have the beta in the tank. Barbs seem like fin-nippers.

Mr. Waffles, you could switch the cories for free swimming fish? The loaches and cories mightcompete for the same stratum in your tank yknow?
How is it keeping cherries? I almostgot some but went for rasboras instead

cherries arent bad at all! thats just a stereotype from tiger barbs i thuink. cherrys are super peaceful. Any way, i figured out what else ill add to the tank. a panda platy! I saw them yesterday and i think theyd look great with panda corys. im not sure if i have any more room. can anyone advise? again, my current idea is:

-6 cherry barbs
-5 kuhli loaches
-4 otos
-1 angelfish
-4 panda corys
-2 panda platys
-?????

Mr. Waffles, you could switch the cories for free swimming fish? The loaches and cories mightcompete for the same stratum in your tank yknow?
How is it keeping cherries? I almostgot some but went for rasboras instead

I love corys! and ive double and triple checked the compatibility between the two. they seem fine. the cherrys are currently in QT. the cycle is just about over, still a bit of nitrite. If push comes to shove, ill move the pandas into my 25 high. they have a small school of 5 in there, so an extra 4 would be great. i just LOVE corys. Im loving my loaches too however. planning on dropping to LFS to check on the chromises. my friend said he'll buy them for his SW tank.

cherries arent bad at all! thats just a stereotype from tiger barbs i thuink. cherrys are super peaceful. Any way, i figured out what else ill add to the tank. a panda platy! I saw them yesterday and i think theyd look great with panda corys. im not sure if i have any more room. can anyone advise? again, my current idea is:

-6 cherry barbs
-5 kuhli loaches
-4 otos
-1 angelfish
-4 panda corys
-2 panda platys
-?????
I think thats good. Be dutiful on the water changes and I definitely wouldn't add anything else. Be aware that issues may arise between the barbs and the angel. Angels can be jerks.;)
One note, I have kept panda platys, and they are they were never very healthy. I have had a total of like 8 of them and they never lived longer than a couple of weeks at the most. For whatever reason, my experience with them showed them to be the least healthy platy variety ever. While this happened, I kept other platy varieties and didn't have an issue with those. It may just be that my store kept getting bad ones, but just thought I would give you a heads up.

-6 cherry barbs
-5 kuhli loaches
-4 otos
-1 angelfish
-4 panda corys
-2 panda platys
-?????

What filter are you using?

Panda cories are a bit shy and would do better with a full shoal of 6.

Really!? my shoal of 5 are doing fine. ill play it by ear. if they need 2 more, ill just knock off the panda platys. wow. when i have to fish with panda in their names, it gets confusing.

Well cories are shoaling fish so they are supposed to be kept in groups of 6. IME the smaller the cory, the better it thrives when kept in a larger shoal. Not saying 4 isn't OK..but if filtration allows 6 would be better and there would be room. If your filtration is crappy I wouldn't add anything else though.

Back
Top Bottom