29g FW Stocking - Colorful Centerpiece Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salt72

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Currently setting up a 29 gallon tank (will have some live plants) and was looking for some ideas on a good centerpiece fish. The wife wants something "colorful". :cool:

Leaning toward this initial stock list:
6 - zebra danios
6 - rummynose rasboras (if available, if not I'll choose another small schooling fish)
6 - Leopard cory's
1 - Centerpiece fish TBD

According to the good ol' AqAdviser, if I used the above list with a Bolivian Ram as the centerpiece I would be at 90% stocking level. I just chose the Bolivian Ram in this example to give me an idea of my total stocking level calculation.

What would be some nice, colorful options for the centerpiece fish? I'll also take any other opinions/suggestions on the stocking list (as long as they are pretty commonly found at an average LFS :D).

Thanks.
~Salt

Why not a Bolivian ram and a dwarf gourami?

If that's the case, then I would do the two schools of small fish you want, but only with five each

But if you like color, check this out!

Apistogramma cacatuoides triple-red - YouTube

Apistogramma Cacatuoides 'Triple Red'. Great colorful fish. I wish I had it...

Holy cow...that is an awesome looking fish. I don't recall ever seeing one of those before.

Everybody else - Thanks for the tips. I will take them all into consideration. Both the Bolivan Ram and the Dwarf Gourami's are looking like equally good options. Would love to hear more.

First, Apistos are very nice looking but not for beginners. Make sure you know what they need waterwise. I like Kribs and a pair would look nice. You could do one normal Krib and one albino.

Celesrtial Danios are you ticket to color. Just to add a bit of over kill, try the Odessa Barbs at selectaquatics.com If you add these two you will be hard pressed to find something more colorful. You can scrap the Zebras and the Rasboras.

As for the center piece, a pair or trio of Leeri-Pearl Gouramis will look totally cool.

First, Apistos are very nice looking but not for beginners. Make sure you know what they need waterwise. I like Kribs and a pair would look nice. You could do one normal Krib and one albino.

Celesrtial Danios are you ticket to color. Just to add a bit of over kill, try the Odessa Barbs at selectaquatics.com If you add these two you will be hard pressed to find something more colorful. You can scrap the Zebras and the Rasboras.

As for the center piece, a pair or trio of Leeri-Pearl Gouramis will look totally cool.

Thanks...gives me a few more options to look at! The Apisto would be a pipe dream. I definitely want to stick with some "easy" fish until I get more experienced.

I was going to recommend German blue rams, beautiful, but they are super picky with food, parameters, etc
Even Bolivian rams are moderate care, I have been taking care of my 29 gallon also for half a year now, and I'm barely going to add a Bolivian ram lol

Back
Top Bottom