29g stock ideas and bottom protection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have three mystery snails, 3 adult mollies, 10 baby mollies, 8 neon tetras, 4 fancy guppies, tons of ramshorn snails, tons of ghost shrimp, and a lot of blue pearl shrimp in my tank right now. It is a 29 gallon too. I wouldn't think that the mystery snails would put you over your bio load limit but I am not that experienced so maybe others will know more.

Mystery snails aka apple snails have pretty high bio loads, but you would still be ok, and they are called apple snails because they get to be the size of an apple

Apple Snails will increase load to my aquarium?
1 x Angelfish
4 x Cory catfish
2 x Bolivian Ram
10 x Cherry Barb
3 x Apple Snails

Isn't too much?

Thanks

Just to let you know, cherry barbs won't school as tightly as the neons or cardinals. I would do a tetra or rasboras instead if you want a tight school

Samzter, thanks for the info.

One more question, do I need to add a calcium for the snail if my water ph is high (8-8.2)?
If yes, how much?

Thanks

From aqadvisor:
"Warning: When Bolivian Ram starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Cherry Barb.".

Red Breast Smiling Cichlid (Laetacara curviceps) too:
"Warning: When Dwarf Flag Cichlid starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Cherry Barb."

Any solution? Blue Ram isn't hardy, bolivian and Laetacara curviceps can be aggressive to Cherry Barb...

From aqadvisor:
"Warning: When Bolivian Ram starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Cherry Barb.".

Red Breast Smiling Cichlid (Laetacara curviceps) too:
"Warning: When Dwarf Flag Cichlid starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Cherry Barb."

Any solution? Blue Ram isn't hardy, bolivian and Laetacara curviceps can be aggressive to Cherry Barb...

Are you wanting to breed the rams/flags?

Aqadvisor isn't the end all be all of stocking. A breeding pair of dwarf cichlids isn't going to wipe out the rest of your stock list unless you somehow end up with exceptionally aggressive specimens. If you do end up with a breeding pair, it is unlikely any fry would survive in a community setup without your intervention. If you want to eliminate the possibility of breeding, keep a single specimen or get 2 of the same sex.

I thoroughly agree with S. Mama! Over the years I've kept a lot of dwarf SA cichlids in community tanks and never had a casualty from it. Not saying it can't happen but chances are pretty darn slim! German Blue rams are quite hardy also if gotten from a reliable source/breeder. Problem today is many sold at fish stores come in from fisheries in Asia and they are known for their poor genetic stock and also often use high amount of hormones to color up the fish faster for quicker sale. I love my GBR's and find they have a lot of personality.

What about h.rasboras instead of the cherry barbs?

The cherry barbs will be super hyper and all over the tank.

H.rasboras? Yes, why not, if it's a better choise for my community.

I keep both regular and Purple Harlequin rasbora's and both are calm, easy going community fish.

I thinking to add 1 x Peacock Goby to my list.
AquStockImage.php

Or maybe better 1 x Betta splendens (female)?
AqAdvisor:
Note: Betta [Female] can still become aggressive even if she doesn't show aggression right away. Not recommended to be mixed with peaceful community species. Also, they may jump - lids are recommended.

If I'll add the biomedia from my small (2 gallon) tank to my big tank, how long it will take to introduse my first fish? LFS told me that 3 days, but it's better to verify with you guys :)
With one I need to add first?

Adding bio-media from a 2 gallon tank isn't much so your tank will pretty much need to go through a normal full cycle. So you have to decide if your doing a fish in or fishless cycle.

Also not sure if I'd add a grudgeon since you already have cory's and 2 rams. That is a lot of bottom activity with only a little mid level swimmers (harlequins and angel).

Ok, thanks.

What do you think about Spotted Hillstream Loach?
I won't have upper level activity? Maybe add 1-2 fish for the upper level? But I don't know wich one...

What is your suggestion to my list (if I'm not already overstocked):
AquStockImage.php

Hillstream loaches need cooler water and a substantial current. And actually the Harlequin Rasbora's do tend to stay in the upper level and the angel mid level but will go all over where it wants.

IMO your pretty much stocked with that list. You might be able to get away with adding a Honey or Dwarf Gourami but that would be about it.

1 x Dwarf Gourami will be OK? Or better 2?

Back
Top Bottom