2nd filer or powerhead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bbush

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Would it be better to add another filter or a power head to decrease the algae in my tank? It is two feet high and the plants at the bottom are getting swallowed by algae. Something about c02 circulation? How about a u.v. Sterilizer?

Is the algae floating making your water green? I had a horrible time with green water, until I purchased a uv light and it cleaned up my 55g in 3 days.

Yeah, it's not terrible. But has gotten worse over time. Nothing like when I first set up my tank. I think I will try another filter 1st. What kind of uv do u have? I am thinking of getting one for my canister?

UV Sterilizer will PREVENT future algae spreading...but will do NOTHING about the current algae

Powerhead will create more surface movement thus you have more Co2 in the water, which should in theory reduce algae in future and current times...if properly placed

Filter depends on how powerful it is, and what type...if canister, then if outflow is placed properly so you get max surface movement, I'd say better than a powerhead as you get bonus filtration...if HOB, then only if it is powerful like 300gph or more i guess...

I'd go with any canister or a penguin 350 bio-wheel if you want a filter

and koralia powerheads if you want that

idk about UV as i don't own one..

Usually there are a couple of things that cause algae.

1. High Phosphates
2. High Nitrates
3. Low Co2 levels

This is within a planted tank I assume otherwise you wouldn't mention Co2 levels.

How are your Nitrates?

Have you checked for Phosphates?

Do you have a Co2 drop checker etc?

Although I am a relative newbie to aquariums, I have done a substantial amount of research regarding planted tanks as I have one myself.

If your Nitrates are sitting around 20ppm, this can mean there is excess nutrients in the tank for the algae to feed on. PWC to bring Nitrates to around 10ppm or lower.

If your phosphates are high +1ppm this too can contribute to algae growth. However getting these lower can sometimes pose a problem due to many water companies adding phosphates to their water supply to help stop corrosion. Chemical removal or the use of RO/Di water to help reduce phosphate level.

Co2. If you are using pressurised Co2 then get yourself a drop checker to test if you are injecting enough. I currently run a bubble every 2 seconds in my tank and my drop checker is green.

Hope this helped.

Jon

Maybe some more info on your tank would hellp here. What size tank, what kind of lighting, do you add ferts, how much plant biomass, etc?

Usually there are a couple of things that cause algae.

1. High Phosphates
2. High Nitrates
3. Low Co2 levels

I think it would be better to say that all three of those TOGETHER or number three with high lighting will cause algae. High phosphates or high nitrates alone do not cause algae.

56 gallon column tank with 2 cheap lights on top : one 40 watt perfecto and a 50 watt cfl. Dosing w flourish weekly after pwc. I have hornwort, anubius, and mystery plant in petsmart driftwood.

Back
Top Bottom