3 ATI blue plus too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrg02d

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,
So I am considering using 3 ATI blue plus and 1 ATI aquablue special in my 20g reef tank. Right now I have 2-ATI blue plus and 2-ATI aquablue special, but id like the tank bluer. I have acroporas right under the aquablue special bulb, and can keep it there if best for them.

Other corals to consider are acans, chalice, and other LPS corals (favias and favites). Can I get away with a much bluer tank? I dont want to seriously stunt the corals growth since they are mostly frags ;-).

Thanks!
Matt

Frags will grow out faster under 6500k light then color up better under 14k, some prefer 20k.

So do you want growth or looks, or what looks best to you?

look at the description of the bulbs. some promote better growth like the 6500k and the 10k. while others promote more color. but when lookign at promoting color look at the bulb description as diffrent bulbs encourage some colors to brighten up more then others. so a combo of bulbs might be better.

54W Fiji Purple T5 HO Fluorescent
logo.gif

+ enlarge
  • Manufacturer: Korallen Zucht
  • Dimensions: 45.8" L
  • Availability: Back Ordered - Usually ships in 1-2 weeks
  • Item #: KZ0005
  • Full spectrum bulb characterized by its blue-red combination spectrum. Good for bringing out the pinks, purples and reds in an aquarium. Recommended Use: in combination with at least 3 or more other T5 bulbs. Not recommended as a stand-alone bulb.
54W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent
T5_blue_plus.jpg

+ enlarge
  • Manufacturer: ATI
  • Availability: In Stock - Usually ships in 24 hours
  • Item #: ATI1013
  • Combines the properties of a Blue bulb with a Actinic Blue 03 bulb producing a unique spectrum that encourages both bluing in SPS corals and fluorescence in capable corals. Also helps balance out a washed-out/yellow hued tank. Great as a supplement to metal halides or in combination with a 6500K Sun Pro or Aquablue Special bulb.
54W 12000K Aquablue Special T5 HO Fluorescent
T5_aquablue.jpg

+ enlarge
  • Manufacturer: ATI
  • Item #: ATI1005
  • Combines the properties of a Blue bulb with a full-spectrum daylight bulb producing a color temperature of approximately 12000K. Great as a stand-alone bulb or in combination with an Blue Plus or Actinic Blue 03 bulb.
54W 6500K Daylight T5 HO Fluorescent
6500K_daylight.jpg

+ enlarge
  • Manufacturer: General Electric
  • Item #: GE0005
  • Full spectrum daylight bulb with high-output to encourage coral growth. Good for bringing out the greens in an aquarium. We recommend using it in combination with 1 or more Blue Plus bulbs. Mean Lumens: 4370. Color Temperature: 6500K. Color Rendering Index (CRI): 85.
54W Pure Actinic 03 T5 HO Fluorescent
T5_pure_actinic.jpg

+ enlarge
  • Manufacturer: Giesemann
  • Item #: GSM0029
  • Pure "actinic" bulb which produces a spectrum that peaks at 420nm producing a spectrum that encourages ultimate fluorescence in capable corals. Great as a supplement to metal halides or in combination with a 11000K Aquablue Plus bulb.
diffrent bulbs do diffrent things. its about finding the right combo for the colors you have.

I think I am more after looks, but that would change if it meant that the corals werent going to grow. How much would the growth be stunted with just one Aquablue Special bulb in the tank?

Matt

your corals will grow fine with your suggested lineup. it's personal preference at this point. both lamps have similar PAR.
the 6500k lamps will make your 4 bulb tank look ugly IMO.

Thanks for the tips guys! I ordered a new ATI blue plus bulb to swap out with my AquaBlue Special. I will keep the SPS corals all under the AquaBlue Special bulb just to be safe, while the rest of the corals will be under a Blue Plus bulb. The rest of the corals are all lower light corals, so I am hoping this will make them happy, although the Blue Plus bulbs still seem to have an awful lot of PAR. Should the fact they are 17in away from the bulbs (15in of water) keep the from bleaching? I hear that Acans and some exotic favias HATE lots of PAR. I also hear chalice corals like it darker too. Should keeping them all on the sand bed make them happy?

Thanks!
Matt

Thanks for the tips guys! I ordered a new ATI blue plus bulb to swap out with my AquaBlue Special. I will keep the SPS corals all under the AquaBlue Special bulb just to be safe, while the rest of the corals will be under a Blue Plus bulb. The rest of the corals are all lower light corals, so I am hoping this will make them happy, although the Blue Plus bulbs still seem to have an awful lot of PAR. Should the fact they are 17in away from the bulbs (15in of water) keep the from bleaching? I hear that Acans and some exotic favias HATE lots of PAR. I also hear chalice corals like it darker too. Should keeping them all on the sand bed make them happy?

Thanks!
Matt

I think you already have an answer, but I will chime in. From what I understand the Blue+ has enough PAR where you will be fine going with 3 of those and 1 aquablue. I think you are good with that setup. Chalices need lower light than sps. You should be fine keeping chalice, acans and favia on the sandbed at 17" down.

Back
Top Bottom