3 Empty tanks, what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Afternoon everybody.

I have 3 empty tanks right now, 2 standard 10 gallons and a 5 gallon hex about 14-16 inches tall

I currently have set up a 75 gallon freshwater tank with Bichirs and Jack Dempseys (which may be leaving)
I also have a 29 gallon reed tank with some clowns, some gobies, and an anenome
I am setting up a 55 gallon FW tank that is to STRICTLY be used for breeding feeders for the 75 gallon. Either Convicts or Guppies, was suggested Convicts on the bichir forums at aquatic predators, as they breed quickly and in large broods, and I can have 6 pairs in a 55 I am told

Now, in these 5-10 gallon tanks, I have had before, Dwarf Puffers, German Blue rams, a 10 gallon nano tank that got upgraded ot the 29, a planted FW tank,

Now, one of the 10 gallons is sitting on astand next to my comp and TV where I spend all my time, the 5 gallon is sitting next to me as well, as is the 75 gallon.

The 29 gallon is at the gfs apartment (it is my tank though...but she wanted clowns) The 55 gallon is in my apartments living room, the last 10 gallon would be in the living room as well, either in the same shelving unit as the 55, or on top of the minifridge (would be sitting next to the TV in the living room, very visible as well)

Now, WHAT DO I DO WITH THESE TANKS???

I am looking for ideas, suggestions, I am not exactly 'strapped' for cash, but with the amount of money I dump into the 75 and the reef tank, I dont care to spend another 2 grand on a fish tank right now.

The 10 gallons are currently capable of at best 40 watts of PC lighting, either 10k white or 50/50 actinic 10k or 25/75 actinic/white (the lighitng fixtures is two screw in bulbs center mounting, each bulb poiting in a diff direction, I can get 20W 10k lights from wally world, or 20W corallife 50/50 10k/actinics from a LFS

the 5 gallon has well...shitty ass lighting. I tried to upgrade it using the current hood, THAT did not work, so I think I am stuck with like 5-10 W of 6500 PC lighting

I haveabout 15 lbs of reef sand atm sitting in one of the 10 gallons, I have an inch and a half of um...the good planted tank substrate in the 5 gallon atm (would have ot get more to do a planted 10g, but that isnt aproblem) I have enough plant ferts to last a year or longer. I have plenty of filtration and small powerheads, air pumps and air bars, I am only lacking in power strips atm)

I also have a few rocks and some cut terra cotta pots, some of the cheapo breeding mats from petsmart. I have an excess of driftwood ( I have as much driftwood in my 75 as most people would have live rock in a75 reef for pete's sake)

Anyways, some ideas please.

What about a 10g Shelldweller tank.....you could have a nice little colony of Multies in there. :)

For the 5g, I'd just suggest a Betta tank.

For the other 10g, how about a nice planted tank with some shrimp and maybe some Microrasboras.

shell dwellers? I have heard the term, but am not really familiar with what they are, an chance for some links to info, pics etc?

Thanks

I am thinkin abotu doing another nano reef for one of the 10s like just a single leather or something and some live rockl

Jarred Darque said:
shell dwellers? I have heard the term, but am not really familiar with what they are, an chance for some links to info, pics etc?

I'm not who brought them up, but they are very cool little Tanganyikan cichlids that, um, dwell in shells :). Here's a good place to start finding out about them: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/shelldweller_corner.php
I've been tempted by them...

Back
Top Bottom