3 weeks vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaplantfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Online they tell you that the fish will be fine for the 3 week with out food, which is fine.

I clean my eheim 2213 canister filter once a year which was recommended, and it's almost half of the year as I did my last clean up of the filter but should I clean the filter and put new polisher pads before I leave?

Thanks

A.O

IMO 3 weeks without food is really pushing it. You could look into an auto feeder but if you do, run it several days before you leave to be sure it's working properly. Or see if someone can come in about every 2 or 3 days to feed and check the tank to make sure everything is running properly. When I have someone feed my tanks I make little baggies of food for each day they need to feed so the tank isn't overfed.

Do a 50% WC the day before you leave.

Canister filters should be cleaned often unless you hardly have any fish. I clean mine every 4 weeks so there is no buildup of nutrients which can raise nitrate and even phosphate levels. Do you know what your nitrate or phosphate levels are? IMO you should clean the filter but don't rinse the bio-media and once you come home get in the habit of cleaning your canister more often.

IMO 3 weeks without food is really pushing it. You could look into an auto feeder but if you do, run it several days before you leave to be sure it's working properly. Or see if someone can come in about every 2 or 3 days to feed and check the tank to make sure everything is running properly. When I have someone feed my tanks I make little baggies of food for each day they need to feed so the tank isn't overfed.

Canister filters should be cleaned often unless you hardly have any fish. I clean mine every 4 weeks so there is no buildup of nutrients which can raise nitrate and even phosphate levels. Do you know what your nitrate or phosphate levels are? IMO you should clean the filter but don't rinse the bio-media and once you come home get in the habit of cleaning your canister more often.

In that case I'll get a feeder, I'll also do a clean up of my canister with out disturbing the BB with a 50% WC. I will post the nitrate and phosphate level ASAP when I get home.

I use prime for tap water and I feed them NLS pallets,flakes,blood worms and Krill's.

35gal
Uv sterilizer
Inline heater

2 red wag platy
1 Batta
1 Orange parrot
1 angel fish
2 dimond tetra

Now I know I'm over stocked but I'm planning on getting at least a 500 gal as soon as I get a house this year and if you see the picture they are all babies still and the two koi red tail I sold it.

Rivercats, I did not know I have to clean the canister every 4 weeks, I mean I didn't want to disturbed any BB in the filter it self. but I'm going to clean it starting from next WC. I do %25 WC but would it be better if I did 50% WC?

I will update on new pics and water parameter.

I use to over feed them but i've stopped and feed them accordingly and I skip a day just so they can digest better.

I made a HUGE mistake by getting sand as I find it really difficult to clean it

I do care for my tank but my mistake is what they are suffering for which I'm trying to correct. Actually I shouldn't have listen to the people from the fish store as they told me that I can keep 3 parrots, thank god I didn't get 3. I feel so bad that I don't have enough space for it and I'm really attached to them all fish, I mean I feed them with my hand and they jump to get food from my hand and it means something to me lol. Someways I feel like giving my parrot away as it can have better space and stuff but it's hard. Only if I knew.

I don't mind cleaning the sand but there's way too much waste and some waste it doesn't come out from the syphon hose.

Im going on a 2 week vacation soon, so im also in the same boat as you. What is your feeding routine? Feed normally once a day or 2 before you leave.The night you leave, do a 75% water change. If you have lights, I would either have them on timers, if you don't already, or just turn them off. I know leaving our fish for any extended period of time is nerve-racking.

Im going on a 2 week vacation soon, so im also in the same boat as you. What is your feeding routine? Feed normally once a day or 2 before you leave.The night you leave, do a 75% water change. If you have lights, I would either have them on timers, if you don't already, or just turn them off. I know leaving our fish for any extended period of time is nerve-racking.

I feed them in the morning as soon as I turn on the light, and once a week bloodworms or krills.
Do I clean the canister filter? Last time I cleaned it was in January.

When are you going away? I'm leaving on May 23rd. I'll be servicing both tanks and all equipment on Wednesday evening.

I'd do all water changes the night before. Or if you don't have time to do a large pwc, the few days leading up to the 20th, do smaller daily changes.

Yup, I'm going to do a %75 WC at 11 at night the day before and also I'm going to borrow one of my brothers HOB and keep that running on the side. The automatic feeders are expensive and I have no choice but to get it and since in spending the money to get it I might as well get something good by ehim. Are you getting a feeder or do you have someone to look after.?

Yup, I'm going to do a %75 WC at 11 at night the day before and also I'm going to borrow one of my brothers HOB and keep that running on the side. The automatic feeders are expensive and I have no choice but to get it and since in spending the money to get it I might as well get something good by ehim. Are you getting a feeder or do you have someone to look after.?

I really don't trust those auto feeders, even if I watch it for a few days before I leave. Not saying they are bad though, it's up to personal preferences. I feed my fish 3 days a week already so they should be ok w/o food. My worst fears are: major evaporation and my filters biting the dust.

I really don't trust those auto feeders, even if I watch it for a few days before I leave. Not saying they are bad though, it's up to personal preferences. I feed my fish 3 days a week already so they should be ok w/o food. My worst fears are: major evaporation and my filters biting the dust.

So it will be fine with out food for 3 weeks?, ya me too it will evaporate at least 20% I think

Have you ever left it for 3 weeks alone before.

I've been keeping fish since the 70's and personally I think 3 weeks is way to long not to feed fish. I would try to find someone who could check on the tank and feed every 2 or 3 days. As already mentioned things can go wrong like filter or heater malfunctions.

I've been keeping fish since the 70's and personally I think 3 weeks is way to long not to feed fish. I would try to find someone who could check on the tank and feed every 2 or 3 days. As already mentioned things can go wrong like filter or heater malfunctions.

Ok I guess I have to find someone to stay back.

P.h 7.6
Nh3/nh4 - 0
N02-0
No3-0

Attachments

• image-3349767930.jpg
    image-3349767930.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 55
I got my brother to stay back and his gonna yak care of it with water change.

Wow nice tank!

Back
Top Bottom