30 gal hex stocking ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jchrstn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, hello!

So newbie here. I'm slowly finding my way through this world of fish keeping. I will admit though that sometimes its kinda confusing. :D

I have a 30 gallon hex tank. The filter is a 50 gallon Hagen AquaClear. I currently have a Flourite substrate with two Amazon Swords. (I plan on getting more plants as my fish budget allows.) I also have two 4 inch air stones. The pH level is neutral.

Currently I have 5 Zebra Danios and 5 Silver Tipped Tetras.

I was thinking about getting two Dwarf Gouramis and something for the bottom of the tank like Ghost Shrimp.

I've seen a lot of tanks that seem to have a larger fish population than I thought was suggested. Do I have more wiggle room with adding more fish? I don't want to overstock my tank but I would like to maximize my space.

Thanks for your help!

With a hex tending to be a little taller than the norm i would suggest getting some angels. Some will say the tetras will end up as a snack but some will say not so its up to you. You also have some space for tiger barbs or any barb thatll stay under 3in for the most part. Id avoid going two dwarf gouramis as they might get aggressive if you dont have ample hiding spots.

edit: angels can only be a good suggestion if you have plans on getting a larger tank or rehoming them when they get ginormous. :)

That's the problem. This is my first tank and while I wouldn't mind getting a bigger one eventually, I don't know if we have room in the house - and I have to convince my husband. So I'm afraid that if we go with Angels they will outgrow the tank and I won't have anywhere to put them.

Back
Top Bottom