30 Gal Plant/Fish Stocking - First Tank Plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ehpn7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, everyone!

I've been lurking for quite some time while I figure out what sort of aquariums I'm interested in, and I'm getting to the point in my planning process where I want to run everything I've come up with past people with actual experience for input and suggestions. I've got a lot of experience with pet care (used to be an animal trainer!) but I've never had fish.

Potential Setup So Far:

- 30 Gallon (3ft) tank (comes with a hood + light- "standard t8 flourescent")
- I'd like for this tank to be heavily planted. I like that the plants improve water quality (which, hopefully, would make maintaining the fish's health easier), I like that it's a more natural environment for the fish to live in, I think it should make it easier to have a community tank with a betta, and I really like the aesthetics.

Fish:
- 1 Male Betta
- 3 Upside Down Catfish
- 5 Cory Cats (specific type still up for debate)
- Some miscellaneous mid/upper-tank dwellers, open to suggestions!
- This is what I've plugged into Aqadvisor so far.

Questions:

-- Substrate : What kinds of substrate would be supportive of plant growth while safe for the catfish barbels?

-- Fish : Suggestions for fish to share the upper portion of the tank with the betta?

-- Filters/Heaters : Recommendation for appropriate equipment? First priorities are affordability and efficiency, but I'd also like to consider an in-water filter, as my tank will probably be viewable from both sides.

-- Is there anything I'm overlooking?

-- Plants : I love the look of these two, but I'd like some advice about what sorts of plants would work well with my fish's water conditions + are very easy to care for!this and this

Hello, everyone!

I've been lurking for quite some time while I figure out what sort of aquariums I'm interested in, and I'm getting to the point in my planning process where I want to run everything I've come up with past people with actual experience for input and suggestions. I've got a lot of experience with pet care (used to be an animal trainer!) but I've never had fish.

Potential Setup So Far:

- 30 Gallon (3ft) tank (comes with a hood + light- "standard t8 flourescent")
- I'd like for this tank to be heavily planted. I like that the plants improve water quality (which, hopefully, would make maintaining the fish's health easier), I like that it's a more natural environment for the fish to live in, I think it should make it easier to have a community tank with a betta, and I really like the aesthetics.

Fish:
- 1 Male Betta
- 3 Upside Down Catfish
- 5 Cory Cats (specific type still up for debate)
- Some miscellaneous mid/upper-tank dwellers, open to suggestions!
- This is what I've plugged into Aqadvisor so far.

Questions:

-- Substrate : What kinds of substrate would be supportive of plant growth while safe for the catfish barbels?

-- Fish : Suggestions for fish to share the upper portion of the tank with the betta?

-- Filters/Heaters : Recommendation for appropriate equipment? First priorities are affordability and efficiency, but I'd also like to consider an in-water filter, as my tank will probably be viewable from both sides.

-- Is there anything I'm overlooking?

-- Plants : I love the look of these two, but I'd like some advice about what sorts of plants would work well with my fish's water conditions + are very easy to care for!this and this

Hmmmm. Having a male betta in a community setup doesn't work out often. I think it would be better to have a different centrepiece. I know the upside down catfish need a school, and I'm not sure on them either. Why not have a school of rummy nose or cardinal tetras? Then have an apistogramma or two for a centrepiece. For Cories I vote 6 panda Cories. For this tank I would get maybe a 55g filter or probably something higher. You need a filter which does 8x gph ( gallons per hour) on a tank.

Yeah! I agree, I'd skip the betta. How bout this?

2 apistogrammas
6 rumynose tetras
6 panda Cory's
3 upsidedown cats

After doing a lot of research in betta keeper forums, it's been my impression that the idea that bettas are not suitable for community tanks is somewhat of a common misconception. The majority of the people who said they had tried a betta in a community tank had success when they were heavily planted, lightly stocked (at least on the mid-upper tank where the betta will want to hang out), and with carefully chosen tankmates! I'm not dead set on a betta, but I'm really just not drawn to cichlids. german Blue Rams are admittedly pretty cool looking, but i'm not sure how i feel about the cichlid personality. Open to suggestions on non-cichlids centerpiece fish! Maybe a neon blue dwarf gourami or a paradise fish?

I do like rummy nose tetras, and the more graphic Cory cats are really fun- both the bandits and pandas. I have noticed, though, that albino cories always seem much more playful and active than the others- they're really quite entertaining.

Well if you want, you could go with a pair of pearl gouramis for centerpiece! They're sweet lookin! And then you could have a huge school of rummys and then Cory's, so Mabye
2 pearl gourami
10 rumynose
6 panda Cory's
6 zebra danios
That be cool! You can DEFINATLY try a betta, just have a back up plan in case of aggression, something like
1 male betta
8 Cory's
3 upsidedown catfish
Mabye 8 neon tetras

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom