30 Gal Stocking dilemma....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woofwoofgrrl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't know what to get next. :fish2:

In my cycled 30 gal I have 5 white skirt tetras, 1 zebra danio and 1 panda cory. Both the danio and the cory had friends, but a bad batch of danios and water that was too hard for the corys took them out. In my QT tank I have 6 pearl danios ready to add to the 30 gal.

I've been bringing down my hardness - it's now 6 KH and 8 GH in the 30 Gal and a little higher in the 10 gal QT. My PH is still 8.2. I'm guessing it's going to take quite a while for that to inch down into the PH range of the water I'm using due the buffering capacity still inherent in a 6KH water source.

So here's my dilemma - the pearl danios are ready to go into the 30 gal and I'd like to move them into the bigger tank since I'm sure they'd like to stretch their fins. However after the bad batch of danios, which I'm now calling the "danio debacle" and the cory die off, I'm a bit gun shy. My water isn't in the right range yet for me to up my cory school, so I don't what to get next. I want to keep my QT tank running and keep progressing on stocking my 30 gal, but honestly I feel like the black widow of fish! I've played around with aq advisor and I've thought about getting a honey gourami, or a krib, or a bolivian ram, but I don't know if my tank and skill level are ready for those. <sigh> I guess I need some advice about good tank mates and some reassurance.

Thanks!
Thanks!

I would definitely hold off on the rams they must go into a well established tank. I have been waiting to get my german blue rams lol! I have a 30 gal now and the hardiest fish I can name would have to be my bleeding heart tetras....they have been through 4 moves, poor water quality (previous owner of course lol) and they have survived it all! Once they get comfy in their tank they have beautiful lavender and red colouring which pics just can't do justice! Good luck!

They probably won't school with your white skirts as they are different species.

Back
Top Bottom