30 gallon filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
If I got a 30 gallon reef could I just use 2 powerheads and a HOB as the filtration? Or is a sump or fuge necessary?

I use 2 hydor 240's and a Remora HOB skimmer with a maxijet1200 in my 30 gallon. I also have a fuge with chaeto. But I ran it without a fuge for a while and it worked fine.

An aquaclear 50 would be my suggestion along with 2 nano powerheads. A skimmer is optional at that size in my opinion. Just do your water changes and don't overfeed or overstock and you should be fine.

Running a sump is entirely up to you though. I found it easier to work my way up to a sump, and cheaper. lol

Hmm. If I got the standard 30 gallon tank with stock lights I wouldn't be able to grow corals right?

Maybe some mushrooms and MAYBE some zooa's. It all depends on the stock lighting. There are some cheap light alternatives for a 30g tank.

30in 4Bulbs fixtures

I think this length fits that size tank.

Ohh that's not bad.
I'm thinking this would be cheaper than buying a biocube.
What could I grow with those lights?

And a blue tang cannot be kept in a 30 like in the picture correct?

Nope, a blue tang needs a 6 foot tank. :-D

You could keep most corals with that lighting, I probably wouldn't put an anenome in with the lighting but almost any corals will grow. The only exception would be SPS corals, but the more light demanding corals can also be placed higher up on your rock work.

Ohh okay. Well I guess I'm gonna price powerheads and a HOB and tank and stand and lights. And see how that compares to biocube 30 with those mods.

Back
Top Bottom