30 Gallon stocking ideas (alt sub: look at my driftwood!!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heyheyitsrae

Aquarium Advice Activist
No seriously, my driftwood looks like the Eiffel tower or something.

As for fish, I don't know. I kinda want something black but that could easily be teen angst. :p

I have the entire cycling process to think about it anyway.

I plan on having live plants.

Attachments

• image-2319892448.jpg
    image-2319892448.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 118
Black Moscow guppies? Only the males are fully black but the females have a black tail.

Oh, I dunno you guys. Im not being very helpful on this. I want corydoras. I like the speckled ones, not peppered but I'm pretty sure julii.

But first I need something to give my tank height. My driftwood isn't tall enough.

Also I have a aqua clear 70 for a 30 gallon tank, and that's just way overkill. And NOISY.

Are y'all SURE 30 gallons isn't enough to house a single Green Terror? I found a store near me that regularly has them.

I would say no to the green terror unless you were willing to upgrade as the fish grows. Liveaquaria says 50 gallon minimum and they can grow up to 8 inches. If you like fish similar to a green terror, dwarf cichlids are a smaller more peaceful alternative. Check out rams, kribs, and cockatoo cichlids

heyheyitsrae said:
Oh, I dunno you guys. Im not being very helpful on this. I want corydoras. I like the speckled ones, not peppered but I'm pretty sure julii.

But first I need something to give my tank height. My driftwood isn't tall enough.

Also I have a aqua clear 70 for a 30 gallon tank, and that's just way overkill. And NOISY.

Are y'all SURE 30 gallons isn't enough to house a single Green Terror? I found a store near me that regularly has them.

Do you mean sterbai corydoras?

Panda cories are cool. Three lined cories also have a nice pattern. I always tell people to put some neon tetras in their tank.

I hate my tank. It's way too tall. Two feet tall. Is there any reason why I couldn't get a 40 gallon breeder tank and not use it for breeding? I really like the width to height ratio.

heyheyitsrae said:
I hate my tank. It's way too tall. Two feet tall. Is there any reason why I couldn't get a 40 gallon breeder tank and not use it for breeding? I really like the width to height ratio.

A 40b would provide a lot more swimming room for fish. You could definitely breed livebearers and dwarf cichlids in your 29, so think of the possibilities with a 40B! :)
If you do stick with the 29 I only recommend having one male and female pair of a dwarf cichlid such as bolivian rams. They will be aggressive when breeding, especially to other bottom dwelling fish, which is the reason why I only recommend one pair.

maxwellag said:
A 40b would provide a lot more swimming room for fish. You could definitely breed livebearers and dwarf cichlids in your 29, so think of the possibilities with a 40B! :)
If you do stick with the 29 I only recommend having one male and female pair of a dwarf cichlid such as bolivian rams. They will be aggressive when breeding, especially to other bottom dwelling fish, which is the reason why I only recommend one pair.

Cool, thanks! Now I just have to find someone to trade...

heyheyitsrae said:
But the question was: do you HAVE to use a 40 gallon breeder for breeding?

No. You could use your 29 for breeding. The minimum tank size I would use for breeding dwarf cichlids is a 20g, while the minimum I would use for livebearers is a 10g. What are you wanting to breed?

heyheyitsrae said:
I don't want to breed, I just like the shape. Lol

Oh. Lol. No, you don't have to breed anything in a 40 breeder. It's just called that because of its large footprint, which means more room. It is a very common size used to breed different species.

Back
Top Bottom