300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anybody have a Australian Stripey (Microcanthus strigatus)? I am thinking about getting one.

Had some years ago. I'd suggest that if you are only getting one, get a larger one. Smaller ones do better in schools. Also, they are omnivorous and they will peck at parasites on larger fish and inverts (i.e. shrimps and crabs) just as quickly as they will eat up some algae. (Kind of like the Cortez heniochus. My little henni wound up killing my big saddleback butterfly by constantly trying to clean him. Pecked a hole into him that he couldn't recover from :( ) But they are a cool looking fish (y)

Frag system is up when the DT is down. So my coral farming is in the middle of the night. The green bubble coral has started to really grow fast. It was only a dozen small polyps just about 6 months ago. This was a iPhone photo under the Rapid LED full spectrum lights. With some supplemental light coming from the Chinese led panel that runs on the rail system.

Attachments

• image-2793495768.jpg
    image-2793495768.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 113
  • image-1386315643.jpg
    image-1386315643.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 111
  • image-2685703609.jpg
    image-2685703609.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 108
  • image-381750358.jpg
    image-381750358.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 108
  • image-4288532139.jpg
    image-4288532139.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Beautiful stuff as normal greg, as much as i love bubble corals ive never had any success keeping them.. They seem to flourish for awhile then just kinda evaporate into thin air ( water) ... Ill give them another try down the line aways

Beautiful stuff as normal greg, as much as i love bubble corals ive never had any success keeping them.. They seem to flourish for awhile then just kinda evaporate into thin air ( water) ... Ill give them another try down the line aways

They need very little light and a gentle flow.

You might try the pearl bubble. They seem more hardy IME. They are fun to hand feed also.

I can report the pearl is easier than the green, but look at the colors in the green bubble. Worth the extra effort. And when it finds "home" it's easy to care for.

Tried a six month experiment.

I dose calcium chloride and sodium carbonate to control calcium and alkalinity. I also occasionally add magnesium when it tests low. At the same time I also dripped Lime water (Kalkwasser) at night. I got to thinking that the Lime Water was redundant and decided to stop it for a while and take some pictures of my hard corals before and after. I run a 500 gallon system, so I have elected to supplement than big water exchanges. I only exchange 5% every two weeks.

The pictures are crummy, so I'm not posting them, BUT the results were interesting.

Water parameters were kept the same by upping the dosers to make up the difference from stopping the Lime Water. Most corals showed no visible change, but all my chalice corals stopped growing. They even started to die back. My Acros also slowed down without the type of calcium from the Lime Water. Just proved to me that there are many different ions of calcium and some corals like the calcium delivered by Lime Water rather than calcium chloride. For the new folks, the Part A and Part B solutions sold for controlling calcium and alkalinity, are composed of the two chemicals mentioned above.

Something else that was weird was the zoas seemed to like the Lime Water too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom