300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm an over feeder admittedly. I feed daily too. Everybody is fat & happy and the majority of my corals are growing fantastically.

*edit. I do run loads of filtration though. 2 skimmers, four reactors, and the sump/fuge.

I'm an over feeder admittedly. I feed daily too. Everybody is fat & happy and the majority of my corals are growing fantastically. *edit. I do run loads of filtration though. 2 skimmers, four reactors, and the sump/fuge.

That's where I'm at too. It just seems twice a week is not enough, although when I was traveling for work there were times the reef went a week without feeding. But my fish were skinny and I started to read some literature that spoke about how much better they do when fed more. For example, most sites say that I should feed my clown tang three times a day. I do make sure my feedings are quite small and the fish clean it all up within minutes.

I wish I could keep my skimmer running without issues...right now it isn't skimming anything at all...last week it was doing ok...before that nothing...before that working as intended.

I wish I could keep my skimmer running without issues...right now it isn't skimming anything at all...last week it was doing ok...before that nothing...before that working as intended.

That's weird. They certainly vary in output, but to have nothing one day and skim mate the next is a bit strange.

Yeah...it is frustrating. I originally discussed this with the customer service, but they stated it wasn't the pump like I believed. They say that the nwb150 is too big for a 55 w/ 20 sump. We've all seen/heard of huge skimmers pull out of small ULNS, so I gave up on that route.

Yeah...it is frustrating. I originally discussed this with the customer service, but they stated it wasn't the pump like I believed. They say that the nwb150 is too big for a 55 w/ 20 sump. We've all seen/heard of huge skimmers pull out of small ULNS, so I gave up on that route.

IMHO there is no such thing as too big a skimmer (within reason, lol). Obviously I'm not saying put a 6' skimmer on a 20 gallon but I will run as big as possible. Not sure if I remember correctly but don't you have a Seaclone? If so I would say try another brand as I personally don't think those are that great. Don't get me wrong, they work and are better than no skimmer but you might find a better built one serves you better. I've used the Seaclones (albeit many years ago) & found them to be not as productive as other brands. Maybe they are much improved now though.

I have a nwb200 on my 40breeder and am having a heck of a time getting it dialed in. It will seem to be skimming dry then all the sudden the cup will be 1/2 full. Very strange. Happy thanksgiving everyone

The skim I get is always very watery, hard to get it exactly where it needs to be. When I pull the pump and clean it I have better results for 7 days before it craps the bed.

The skim I get is always very watery, hard to get it exactly where it needs to be. When I pull the pump and clean it I have better results for 7 days before it craps the bed.

I have to clean mine weekly to keep it at best performance. But this weekend I am going to start up my old 6' tall skimmer and stage it to the Hydor. I think I had better overall performance when I had two skimmers running.

Wow ... Looks like he was shot out of a cannon !!

It is amazing to watch. It's a long story, but his mom is a Purina and AKC agility champion my wife trained. I think he can do close to 30' next year. Dogs and fish, oh, parrots and donkeys too. I obviously hate animals.

It is amazing to watch. It's a long story, but his mom is a Purina and AKC agility champion my wife trained. I think he can do close to 30' next year. Dogs and fish, oh, parrots and donkeys too. I obviously hate animals.
Yeah.., me too., ive had a monkey , desented skunk, a big horn sheep and high end tarantula collection from Around the world, poison dart frogs, rats , rabbits, chinchillas etc etc etc

Back
Top Bottom