300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"It's about money. Just like any other industry that exploits the wildlife or the planet....People like a paycheck better than saving bambi unfortunately." Exactly why I am not in the biz anymore. It became too much about money.
The problem is unseen by 95% of the world population. The ocean is still blue and everything below the waves is something from movies and aquariums. Divers see it if they have ever been on the reefs as little as 20 years ago. I have seen big colonies of acros with chunks taken out as a result of hobbiest's, but I have seen entire reefs dead and covered in algae as a result of pollution and sea water temperature increases. The things we learn about cultivation is the only way we will ever turn back the damage. We can do it for forests, we need to get good at doing it to reefs.

Last edited:
Love the newly posted pics. Thanks. I hope the frustrations of being on the commercial side of the hobby don't derail me as I find myself too getting frustrated by some of these same things being discussed. I try to tell myself that through my own LFS maybe I can help people avoid some of these learning curves we went through ourselves. Maybe just a pipe dream!?!

Love the newly posted pics. Thanks. I hope the frustrations of being on the commercial side of the hobby don't derail me as I find myself too getting frustrated by some of these same things being discussed. I try to tell myself that through my own LFS maybe I can help people avoid some of these learning curves we went through ourselves. Maybe just a pipe dream!?!

No, I think you set some standards such as warranties on fish and coral. I work with a local LFS and he tries really hard to be as responsible as you can be and still try to run a business. That's why forums like this and any local support you can provide helps. When people actually see my reef, they are far easier to convince that there is no trick to it, it's just techniques.

The problem is unseen by 95% of the world population. The ocean is still blue and everything below the waves is something from movies and aquariums. Divers see it if they have ever been on the reefs as little as 20 years ago. I have seen big colonies of acros with chunks taken out as a result of hobbiest's, but I have seen entire reefs dead and covered in algae as a result of pollution and sea water temperature increases. The things we learn about cultivation is the only way we will ever turn back the damage. We can do it for forests, we need to get good at doing it to reefs.

I agree with a lot of this HOWEVER, as for damage by hobbyists, maybe not. I was in Granada about 2 years after the hurricane went through and pummeled the island. I went snorkeling and saw devastation of the reefs and many pieces of broken coral strewn all over the ocean floor. Here's the catch tho, they were all still growing and alive. Mother Nature's own fragging.
Depending on where you saw this piece of damaged coral, Humphead Parrotfish eat coral at an amazing rate and are responsible for about 25% of the soft sand found around many Pacific Islands. Couldn't it have been a fish that took that chunk out of the coral head? Many smaller reef type sharks aggressively feed on the reef. Couldn't one of them have broken the piece off? These are just possibilities. Obviously, I wasn't there so I don;t know for sure that it wasn't a hobbyist either. Just saying.
Pollution: I've seen it here in Florida and what it does. The reefs south of the Everglades Watershed in the upper keys have been devastated by pollution from the farmers. Phosphates out the Whazoo were poured into the bay cause the old timers didn't know any better. When we had a shortage of Long Spine urchins many years ago, the blame for all the algae was put on the aquarium biz for taking them from the reef. It was later figured out that the pollution caused the algae and it also killed the urchins. Once again, blame misplaced.

There is no doubt that we need to be better stewards of the oceans. Jacques Cousteau was preaching this back in the early 1970s. Did we listen? I both do and don't think so. We've found ways to enjoy ocean life without taking it all from the ocean yet we still have commercial fish netters catching entire schools of fish leaving nothing to regenerate the population not to mention the bycatch. But we still have staving people in the world in areas that are highly dependent on the oceans for their food. Does this make wiping out fish stocks now, to eat now, justified? These people will be just as starving tomorrow or next week only this time, there will be no fish to eat because of last week's activity. When did we, as a people, lose common sense? The oceans were once thought of as an infinite place but we now know better yet many don't act differently. It gives me pause and sometimes makes me think Mankind isn't really worth saving. Just my views ;)

I relinquish this soapbox to you :D

I agree with a lot of this HOWEVER, as for damage by hobbyists, maybe not. I was in Granada about 2 years after the hurricane went through and pummeled the island. I went snorkeling and saw devastation of the reefs and many pieces of broken coral strewn all over the ocean floor. Here's the catch tho, they were all still growing and alive. Mother Nature's own fragging. Depending on where you saw this piece of damaged coral, Humphead Parrotfish eat coral at an amazing rate and are responsible for about 25% of the soft sand found around many Pacific Islands. Couldn't it have been a fish that took that chunk out of the coral head? Many smaller reef type sharks aggressively feed on the reef. Couldn't one of them have broken the piece off? These are just possibilities. Obviously, I wasn't there so I don;t know for sure that it wasn't a hobbyist either. Just saying. Pollution: I've seen it here in Florida and what it does. The reefs south of the Everglades Watershed in the upper keys have been devastated by pollution from the farmers. Phosphates out the Whazoo were poured into the bay cause the old timers didn't know any better. When we had a shortage of Long Spine urchins many years ago, the blame for all the algae was put on the aquarium biz for taking them from the reef. It was later figured out that the pollution caused the algae and it also killed the urchins. Once again, blame misplaced. There is no doubt that we need to be better stewards of the oceans. Jacques Cousteau was preaching this back in the early 1970s. Did we listen? I both do and don't think so. We've found ways to enjoy ocean life without taking it all from the ocean yet we still have commercial fish netters catching entire schools of fish leaving nothing to regenerate the population not to mention the bycatch. But we still have staving people in the world in areas that are highly dependent on the oceans for their food. Does this make wiping out fish stocks now, to eat now, justified? These people will be just as starving tomorrow or next week only this time, there will be no fish to eat because of last week's activity. When did we, as a people, lose common sense? The oceans were once thought of as an infinite place but we now know better yet many don't act differently. It gives me pause and sometimes makes me think Mankind isn't really worth saving. Just my views ;) I relinquish this soapbox to you :D
Yes, the acro could have been damaged by a careless divers flipper. We as divers also damage reefs. Years ago I ran some dives as a dive master and the first thing we worked on was buoyancy control to keep tourists and students from crashing into corals. Like lots of tourist locations, their beauty can also be their downfall as all of humanity comes to see the sights. But with awareness comes progress usually. People see our reefs and tanks and at least get exposed to the beauty that needs saving. As to man kind being worth saving, that is a topic that should have its own thread. Like an old friend said, "I know about me, I just don't know about you." He said this about everything, so we didn't listen to him anymore.

Last edited:
Natgeo wild has a great show im watching now that would lend a hand to this would be debate "lost sharks of the world". Pretty amazing reefs of oeno

Okay, I have an issue. I have lost a few heads on a green hammer coral and a few on my green torch. Both had been growing fine. Two things changed: I accidentally let my alk get to 13dk and I replaced a magnum power head. The green hammer got knocked over last week when the magnet on the magnum failed and blew directly on the hammer for a few hours. The torch was on the other side of the reef and wasn't affected. The hammer seemed to recover, but about a week later, overnight, a couple of heads died. No slime, just tissue is gone. I am wondering if that was a delayed reaction in the case of the hammer and if anyone else has had issues with LPS after a alk spike? I know low alk kills them. Did a water change to lower the alk a bit. Turned off the doser as cal was 520. Will let the tank coast into slightly lower numbers. I usually keep alk at 9-10. Mag is fine and with the high alk, ph has been rock solid at 8.3.

Last edited:
Yes, it re-inflated, but the heads dropped dead about 4 days later. I did some water changes and moved the hammer to the frag tank where I can watch it better. There is no sign of disease, so I guess it was the alk.

I moved all LPS that was showing signs of not being happy to the frag tank where I can watch them more closely. The torch hasn't fully deployed for a week and the frogspawn that was affected is looking better. I brought the alkalinity down a bit, so I hope they take off again. Just goes to show how quick things can go sour. Everything else, including my biggest frogspawn are still doing fine. But I can't grow chalices anymore for some reason. I am missing something. Been feeding a lot so phosphates are at .2ppm, I try to keep them at .05ppm. Will do some more water exchanges this weekend and make sure my parameters are right on.

I use to feed only a few times a week, and for the past few years I have been feeding daily. I don't feed a lot of food, but I am thinking they need feeding once a day. My fish are all fat and happier than they were. But it takes a lot more filtration. Wondering if it's worth it.

I personally don't think it is Greg. On my tank, I did an 8 gallon water change on Monday. I fed one mysis cube yesterday. I look at my tank today and my Derasa is now gaping wide...still showing signs of growth on the shell so IDK what the issue is. This is only feeding twice a week too.

Back
Top Bottom