300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

That's my thoughts exactly. Talking with the electrician, it's gonna be a pretty big job.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

We were talking about doing this a few months back ,..I'm glad you decided to actually pull the plug and get it started ,... My little generator is not working like it should and needs a fix ( like a hit over the head with a crowbar !!! )

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

We travel some, so I was always worried when not at home. This will help with that, but it's gonna be a pain getting it all hooked up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I for one would love to see how they. ( you ? ) tackle the whole setup,... I'm sure the initial setup will be a royal pain in the butt and expensive ,...but I'm sure once installed the peace of mind would be priceless .

I'm doing it a little different as I am switching the houses 200amp service entirely, rather than protect selected circuits. Still a lot to do as I need to get a plumber to run some more natural gas line. Then I need to wrestle this heavy thing down about 35 stairs.

I just started a 55 gallon salt tang I'm letting it cycle now it's been 3 days when should I check the ph and nitrates , etc .?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would monitor them daily. Write down the values and you'll see the cycle begin and when it's completed at least one round you can slowly add fish and corals.

And the key word greg used here is " slooooowly". Don't be in a rush or you'll be really disappointed ,... Let your tank settle in before adding coral you don't want to lose ,... Usually a good rule would be waiting six months or so ,...Good lighting ,good flow and lots of patience is the key.

That's right Dary. The most common mistake made is impatience. This biology thing happens slowly.

I have one for the books.
This reef is over 20 years old and I am constantly surprised at what's hiding.

I had a nice fire shrimp in the frag tank for the past few years and I moved a big coral from there to the main reef about a month ago. Found out the fire shrimp was a stowaway. But he setup shop just fine and we have enjoyed him.

Today while cleaning the tank, he came out on his front porch to dance for food. This is normal. But my eyes bugged out when a identical shrimp followed him out to dance as well. Two fire shrimp. I looked at my records and that first fire shrimp was added 5 years ago and was never seen again. Now they live in the same hole. Always a surprise in store.

I have one for the books.
This reef is over 20 years old and I am constantly surprised at what's hiding.

I had a nice fire shrimp in the frag tank for the past few years and I moved a big coral from there to the main reef about a month ago. Found out the fire shrimp was a stowaway. But he setup shop just fine and we have enjoyed him.

Today while cleaning the tank, he came out on his front porch to dance for food. This is normal. But my eyes bugged out when a identical shrimp followed him out to dance as well. Two fire shrimp. I looked at my records and that first fire shrimp was added 5 years ago and was never seen again. Now they live in the same hole. Always a surprise in store.

That is so cool man! I guess he was just a lonely old hermit before he met his new bud. :) Nice photos as well.

Back
Top Bottom