300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's right. Great for a frag or grow out system, maybe if setup right it might even suffice as a display. Place a small 4k video camera in a plastic housing and pipe the video to a super HD flat screen. Deluxe.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

"Importance of Water Motion
Astute readers will recognize a common thread throughout these articles - that of water velocity. Water velocity controls the thickness of the boundary layer (the higher the water flow across the coral, the thinner the layer of stagnant water - the boundary layer - surrounding the coral.) This is importance as diffusion of substances (such as ammonia/ammonium and dissolved amino acids - good sources of nitrogen so the coral can build proteins) is hampered by poor water flow and a thick boundary layer. Perhaps more importantly, corals can sense water velocity and hence control expansion. If water velocity is too low, the coral will retract it polyps since the energy required to keep the polyp expanded is greater than the energy supplied by food capture. Not surprisingly, food capture rates are finely tuned to water flow rates (see Riddle, 2014 for details.) On the other hand, polyps are retracted when water velocity is too great and they are in danger of being damaged. Water velocity is sufficient when coral polyps look like fields of grain rippling in a gentle breeze."

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/5/corals

It must be. It happened when he was little. He always swam tail low. Funny thing is when he gets aggressive, his sail stands up and he rights himself just fine. He then goes back to paddling around. He is the last fish in the reef to go to sleep at night as well. Other than that he eats well and has good weight on him.

One of my favorite things is the natural behavior of my little chromis school. They bed down in the tabling acro just like in the wild.

I had an african cichlid that swam the same way. Had him for a few years and he wasted away, im assuming it was something wrong with his swim bladder. He was fat and ate till the day he died though.

Totally cool Greg !

Ps,.. Is that mrs Greg in that one picture ., and in the same picture is that a squirrel fish in the background ?
Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:

Yes it is! That's on the Bloody Bay Wall off of Little Cayman.

Back
Top Bottom