30g long and 10g stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegosh

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys,

I am going to be building a 30 gallon long stand, and making room for the 10gallon to go underneath. I am going to be using these plans:

Reef Central Online Community - DIY Stands Template and Calculator

It seems like a rock-solid stand based on what I've read. The only thing that will differ from what is depicted would be that I am going to use 2x6s on the bottom frame to raise the bottom tank up a little more. I will be adding another blue piece in the middle of the bottom frame. I will then notch the corners off a sheet of plywood and screw it into the bottom frame. That will hold the 10gal.

I may decide to cover the sides with plywood but right now I plan on using some trim to create a beveled edge around the top frame and some carved wood to cover the front corners. I think I'm going to be using a darker colored granite spray paint with it and hitting it with a clear sealer.

Couple things I thought I would ask before I get started on this next weekend. What length and type of screws should I use? I have some galvanized drywall screws that are 2 1/2" that I think would be perfect. I think we are going to go with a finished MDF board (I forget the name of it now, I used some for my work benches, its finished on one side and the edges but the bottom is not) on the top and the bottom.

The dimensions:

40" high
40" wide
16" deep

We will probably end up anchoring it into the wall at the top just to be safe :)

If you have any other recommendations please let me know! Thanks guys!

2 1/2 inch screws should be fine. galvanized is good. the only thing i would add is to seal the non-laminated side of the mdf so it doesnt soak up any water. (accidents happen)
other than that it all looks great. putting sides on it would make it much stronger and if you need the back open you could just do 10 inches in from each side and that would leave 20 inches open. it doesnt have to be thick plywood hardiboard or 1/4 inch luan is fine.

Thanks for the tip Matt. I was thinking about caulking the inside seams on the bottom as well. I know I'm rather messy when I do my maintenance! I will definitely seal the bottom, good point!

I was either thinking about using 1/4" for the sides but I might end up adding some shelves that you can access from the side to hold my supplies. They would go into the stand, screwed into the corner pieces. It is kind of a work in progress, I keep seeing things that I want to add! Who knows what I'll end up with :)

Thanks again for the tips!

Just a little tip for anyone who uses these plans...

I was planning on making my stand 40" tall to make it easier to see while standing up. I accounted for the 2x6" base, and the 2x4 top, and decided to make my legs (the 8 2x4s - purple) 30" tall. I need 8 of these so I figured... 30x4=120 which is a 2x4x10'. This did not work, some of you may already see where I am going with this...

Indeed, the math adds up but it doesn't take into consideration the 'cuts' you make. The width of the blade would have left me with 3 30" pieces and a 29" and some odd fraction. Long story short, I made the legs 29 1/2" long. That left me with about 2 inches extra, better safe than sorry!

I got the bottom frame completed, the top frame completed, and all the other major cuts done. I am trying to upload a picture off my cellphone but I don't have good service here. :(

I had a 10% off a purchase of $50 or more at Lowes so I got the following:

2 - 16x45" Laminated 'shelves' (3/4" MDF) - **Note, they are not exactly 16" wide, like they state... LOL!
3 - 2x4x10'
2 - 2x4x8'
1 - 2x6x10'
1 - 4'x8' 1/4" Birch Plywood - had them cut it in half (for the sides and front)

If any of you are wondering the cost... $48.03 after tax and coupon :) Not bad!

I also had my eye on some trim for it, kind of like a taller baseboard but with more grooves. I also found a casing that looked really nice that I am going to put around the top, flush with the top board.

I'm rather excited to get this project off and running! Hopefully on Thursday I will have some free time to finish up the building, and maybe Monday paint it. :) I will post back with anymore tips :)

I finally got it to send... here is a picture of the completed bottom frame, and the top is almost done, just have to screw in the middle support. Coming along nicely :)
picture.php

Quick update of what I did last night:

legsdone.jpg

Legs are done, I am test fitting the top. It fits!!!

notch.jpg

A close-up of the notches I had to do on the bottom 'shelf' -- I will caulk these before painting.

topandsides.jpg

Got the top and the sides on it. I used finishing nails to hold the 'shelves' and side plywood on. For the legs, I did two screws at the top, two at the bottom and 3 staggered the length to prevent twisting. If you look above you can see what I mean.

I will be going camping this weekend (Happy Memorial Day!) but I will hopefully be back on Monday to cut the plywood for the front and the inside to cover the 2x4's in the corners, get the trim for it, sand, caulk, and paint it! What do you guys think?!

Almost there!

Well I did a little work yesterday, I have been a little under the weather lately. Allergies this time of the year are horrid. Anyways, I got some work done and I'm almost there.

I did make one mistake, I bought some 4 1/2" trim for the bottom but my miter saw is only 4" tall. :( It was after 9:00pm and Lowes was closed so I just did the top, today I will return the 4 1/2" trim and get something like the top. Now onto the pictures, oh and just so you know, I will take better ones once it is done. These are all from my phone...

picture.php

Top trim secured

picture.php

Corner seams and nail holes fixed with wood filler.

picture.php

Inside covered with 1/4" Birch

Updated cost:
Trim - $20 (both pieces)
Rust-Oleum Gloss Black Paint - $8
Elmer's Natural Colored Wood Filler - $2 (comes in a tube, very easy to use.)
Total: $30

That makes my project total: $80 :)

I will post some pictures when I get the first coat of paint on tonight.

Last edited:
i'm guessing your miter saw doesn't tilt to 45 either. You could just buy a new saw :lol: of course that 's feeding the tool junkie :crazyeyes: and wants he gets started look out.

the stand is looking good (y)

i'm guessing your miter saw doesn't tilt to 45 either.

It does tilt to 45 degreees... That's how I made the corners of the trim pair up flush (2nd pic of my last post). I went to replace the trim that was too long and got this plastic-like base board (maybe fiberglass?!). Doesn't cut very well with the miter saw, just melts into a ball at the end of the cut. Not fun stuff... I would stay away from it.

I am just about to get ready to paint it, I will post some more pictures in a little bit. Thanks for the kind words guys!

Finished!!!

Hey guys, good news, I'm all done! Everything went as expected, got the tank filled yesterday and threw my 4 neons in to keep things going. Time for the pictures because thats why we are all here, right? :)

Got it painted with a gloss black, this is two buckets of water in it...
picture.php

Gravel added, couple plants from my 10g and filters running...
picture.php

My 10g moved underneath the 30 long...
picture.php

What do you guys think? Took me a while to get it done, but I'm happy. Better than anything you could've bought for $80 at the store. :)

looks awesome mon! a nice black backround would set things just right!

Thanks for the kind words, I was just checking out your new rock setup in your 125, looks good there!!! :)

I was thinking the same thing when I got it setup last night. Now to find something to cover it... I'm thinking my friend who works at a Sign shop has some extra vinyl I could use. Thanks again!

My wifey picked that... The regular black gravel they sell at Walmart, and the fluorescent multi-colored mixed together. I think they come in like 5lb bags. If I remember right I have about 15 lbs of gravel in there. I believe it was 2 bags of black and one bag of the multicolored. I could be wrong, I might have used more. I still have a bag of each left.

Just a warning, the gravel is rather sharp. It destroyed the fins on my albino cories. I have since moved them to my 30g with smooth gravel and their fins have grown back. Just letting you know it is not ideal for bottom feeders.

cool thanks! my daughter has been asking for a tank in her room and I have a 10 gallon that I keep just in case but I wouldn't put anything fancy in there for her.

Back
Top Bottom