30G Planted Barb Tank - Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks DK.

:-| Unfortunately the news on my tank is grim. Observing my fish today, I just felt that their behavior was not quite right. After their daily 25% PWC and medication (I skipped the mela/pimafix today because I feel that I may be overloading the tank with additives), I did a water test and turned up .25 ppm ammonia. :sorry:

It looks like the medicine has killed the cycle (as I suspected it might, as most ich medication does, and anti-parasite meds contain many of the same ingredients). Fortunately, the daily water changes include a daily dose of prime to detoxify ammonia/nitrites present in the water. Unfortunately, I am limited to 25% PWCs by their medication, so I can't do the daily 50% that I feel fish truly deserve during a cycle.

None of this should be a problem because cycling = 50% PWCs until levels even out, and I understand how to fish-in cycle even though I've never done it. Unfortunately, I am going on a 5-day vacation soon (good luck enjoying it while my fish are in peril :( ) that I can't miss, it's a very important family event. So I will be unable to care for my tank during that time, and I don't trust anyone to care for it except those going on vacation with me.

Due to these events, I think I will take some risky and unconventional moves. The medication finishes on the day I leave for vacation, so I will add the final dose, and overdose prime to try to neutralize the ammonia. In discussing this on chat with krap101, the idea came up to use Zeolite (or similar ammonia-locking tools) to neutralize the ammonia while I am on vacation. Then, when I return, I will do a large PWC (very large!), remove the Zeolite, and begin the daily PWCs of a fish-in cycle, and hopefully limp my tank back to health.

Please post with any thoughts on this, or if you have a better idea :p

Or, even post just to wish me luck. My fish and I need it.

Hopefully I can :snipersmile: snipe this problem and keep all 11 swimming.

I think you should do a large water change before you leave, just to be safe. You could do 40-50% before dosing the medicine, just to get rid of some of the ammonia that is already there. If I were you I would also stick some zeolite in there ASAP to start helping absorb the ammonia.

you don't want to add the zeolite too early though, i'm not 100% but i'm pretty sure once it's absorbed all the ammonia it can, it starts leeching it back into the water. like i said not 100% on that but you may want to look into it.

good luck taylor & fishies, will be crossing our fingers for you guys. :)

Yep, plus zeolite has limited capacity to absorb ammonia so if I stick it in too soon, it may run out of... suckability... while I'm on vacation. I am also unaware of zeolite's affect on medication in the water.

In the meanwhile daily doses of prime are good to neutralize ammonia :)

I still have 11 swimmers, and they were a little happier at feeding time today :)

You can recharge zeolite, so if your uncle or whoever is taking care of you tank wants to soak it, then it'll be good for the rest of the vacation.

Well, the tank will be completely unattended, nobody will be coming in or out of the house for 5 days.

Fortunately it appears my biological filter is on track now, 0 ammonia before my PWC yesterday. I think my "ammonia spike" was a false positive from interaction between prime and chloramines.

Hey all, vacation went well, all 11 are swimming :) The bottom of my plant bunches seemed to die while I was gone and the tank had reduced photoperiod/ferts. I also didn't change out my CO2 mixture for 3 weeks as I wanted to let it completely run out before vacation.

I have a visibly larger amount of algae in the tank now, in the future I think I'll leave one CO2 bottle on the co2 production cycle to reduce this while on vacation. But for now I am back to the regular light and co2 schedule with 2 bottles.

But, all flashing has ceased, so I am happy :) It looks like I beat the disease 11-0!

Anyway here's a disease-free FTS:

My lighting is now on a timer and my wiring is all neat with zipties as well. :)

Wanna see some tigga babs?

Just like I planned :) they are in QT now, they ate vigorously. They are maybe a little bigger than a nickel each.

Back
Top Bottom