35 hex startup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey! Going well. I freed my java miss from the breeder trap so it's floating around in there now, haven't gotten any new stock yet but plan to in a week or so. I have a sponge filter seeding in there now but it's producing a lot of water flow so my hatchet is mad. My driftwood is still a bit fuzzy but less than it used to be and my java ferns still look crappy haha. I'll post more pics as I go!

Ok back with an update. Still can't get hatchets so I added an angel and two more assassins today. My java fern are doing awful but to be fair I got them in bad shape.
Don't mind the sponge filter I'm seeding it on this tank for my 15gal. Still a work in progress! I think 7 more hatchets and some plants and I will be done with this one.

Looks good! What's your stock look like now? Are you supposed to buy Angels at the same time or can you buy one at a time?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also how is your angel doing? I noticed you gave him plenty of swimming room. Does he/she mostly swim on the upper half of the tank?

KCCO

I'm only doing one angel in this tank. Since there's a lot of height I figured it would be okay size wise for one adult but the lack of horizontal space would likely be an issue for more than one and I didn't want to deal with pairing issues or overcrowding. So far the angel has been occupying the lower portion of the tank just weaving through the wood picking food off of the bottom. It's doing a little exploring, it's only been a day so far so we shall see!

For some reason I thought you said you were getting a pair. My bad ha. Well the tank and fish look great.

KCCO

Some newer pics. They really don't do it much justice. Next step is getting some plants to fill in the bottom I just haven't had any time.

That looks like a black water biotope. The black neons' stripes really stand out.
You could do a patch of moss on the substrate. Crypt wendtii (green or red) don't get too tall and should be fine in low light.

If you have some I would be happy to get it from you!
If not I'll ask the LFS. They don't stock plants because they said they don't move very fast and they don't have adequate lighting etc to keep them alive so I had them order some java fern on a whim (the ones in the 15) and they were beautiful.
I shall do some googling now.
I'm really pleased with the way the black neons look in the tank. If it is a biotope it's totally incidental, but I doubt it with the willow in there :)
Once I get some green in there with a little bit of height and the angel gets a bit bigger it will look less empty and I'll be happier I think. I had some of the wood standing more vertical but it rearranges itself as it pleases toward the bottom.

What plants do you recommend to get a little bit of height in there?

I had a good amount of moss in my holding tank but I sold it.
IMO crypts in the submerged form don't ship well. They are notorious for melting when stressed or put in a new environment. I had some melt when I moved them from one tank to another. They are often grown and shipped emersed.
PetSmart often carries the TopFin tissue culture gel pack plants. These are in the cellophane and cardboard box like containers. I would avoid the TopFin plants sold in the plastic TUBES because some are non-aquatic (but not clearly marked at times) unless you can be sure that the plant is truly aquatic. A few variety of crypts are sold this way. Another plant that may grow in your tank is Bacopa caroliniana. It is a stem plant the can grow tall in low to medium light and is also found in the gel packs.

Ok thanks! There isn't a petsmart around here but I know petco at least has the tube plants and there's a guy that works there that I know who specifically told me which ones were and were not meant for aquaria. I'll check it out.

Hey pals.
I think I'm about done on my accidental blackwater biotope (ok sans the wood and non-native plants at the moment)
I rounded out my group of hatchets from 1 to 8.
Here are some pics of the fish and my assassin front line of defense haha

That looks great. Makes me want to try one!

Hex tanks get a bad rap. If stocked intelligently (as you've done), they can host a number of really cool species.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! I love the tank, but I would probably not do another one unless it was smaller. I'm short and it's difficult for me to do anything in the bottom haha...siphon, plant, etc.

Back
Top Bottom