36 bf build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwh0818

Aquarium Advice Addict
So im getting a 36g bowfront here really really soon. I havent ever had cichlids except oscars. Im interested in finding some decently active* and very colorful* cichlids that can be peaceful* and non destructive* for the most part. What are yalls thoughts. I dont want some that are gonna hide all the time. I dont mind the breeding as its very common.

Equipment will be this-
•Bow Front Glass Aquarium (36 gallons)
•Quiet Flow 30 Power Filter for crystal-clear water (Large filter cartridge included)
•Deluxe Full Fluorescent Hood (Full-spectrum lamp included)
•Submersible Heater (200 watt, accurate +/– 1° F)

If need be and more than likely, ill be adding an ac70 for that added bonus of filtration in all aspecs. I would like to add live plants as well.

So what do you say? If it meets these requirements then im up to listen!

*=MUST MEET THESE STANDARDS PLEASE :)

Cryptoheros nanoluteus (lots of other in this genus as well )would fit the bill perfectly, this would also give you some size compared to most dwarf cichlid species.

Cryptoheros nanoluteus (lots of other in this genus as well )would fit the bill perfectly, this would also give you some size compared to most dwarf cichlid species.

I like those hukit! They are very pretty! But what I read, they like hard water (ph 8.5). My tap water ph is around 7.4 or so. Could they be aclimated to this? Also, how many could I do?

I like those hukit! They are very pretty! But what I read, they like hard water (ph 8.5). My tap water ph is around 7.4 or so. Could they be aclimated to this?

No they're perfectly fine at that specific PH, mine are kept and spawn at 7.6-7.8. You should google Cryptoheros as they're my favorite genus, lots or color, low aggression, and interesting behaviors(especially parental care).

No they're perfectly fine at that specific PH, mine are kept and spawn at 7.6-7.8. You should google Cryptoheros as they're my favorite genus, lots or color, low aggression, and interesting behaviors(especially parental care).

These are amazimg! Their colors are really bright and I like the touch of black as well. Does this site speak the truth?
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/cryptoheros-nanoluteus/
Also how many could I have if I only did females? Im not big on fry but I dont mind

Yes colors are electric yellow with black highlights with bright blue eyes. I would do 3-4 females or 1 male and 2 females, they are easily sexed since the females have a black blotch on the dorsal fin.

Could I do some orange von rio flame tetras with them? Mainly to make them take car of their fry instead of dropping and moving on

I have a school of Rasbora heteromorpha(harlequin tetra) in with mine and no problems what so ever. Even when guarding fry they are not terribly aggressive.

I have a school of Rasbora heteromorpha(harlequin tetra) in with mine and no problems what so ever. Even when guarding fry they are not terribly aggressive.

Sweet! Thanks HUKIT! Now, I dont think ive ever seen em at my lfs. Where did you get yours?

Warning:*Yellow Convict*is too aggressive to co-exist withHarlequin Rasbora

Warning: Your selected species may eventually require 103% of your aquarium space. You may need to deal with territorial aggressions later on.
Try removing some of (Cryptoheros nanoluteus) or get a larger tank.

Recommended temperature range: 22 - 25 C.
Recommended pH range: 7.2 - 8.
Recommended hardness range: 5 - 15 dH.

You have plenty of aquarium filtration capacity.
Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is289%.Recommended water change schedule:*21%*per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 86%.*

This is what aqadvisor said when I input the tank size (36BF), the filtration (aqueon 30 and ac70), and fish yellow convicts (4) and harlequin Rasbora (12)

Is this right?

I personally don't put any stock into Aqua-advisor as they tend to be towards the extreme conservative side of stocking aquariums. If your worried about the smaller rasboras there good deal of smaller tetras and swords which stick with the theme of south/central American.

There are definitely some wild type swordtails and livebearers from central america that are awesome. Mogurako and I had a long conversation about them one night because I always just saw the bright red and orange swords and never liked them. Once you start getting into the wild types, they're actually really cool and they'd fit the CA theme. One of my favorites that Mog showed me were xiphophorus montezumae "rio ojo caliente"

AQ advisor is usually pretty good about giving the correct info, but they also give very conservative readings on things so if it says 103% overstocked it probably means that you'll be right around stocking level but not over.
Convicts are especially aggressive when they spawn, so I'd keep only females rather than a pair as a pair will likely stress whatever other fish you plan to have while spawning, if not kill them.

Swords would be a great idea! I keep northern mountain which are considered "dwarf swords" mine are just starting to sex out at around 1" which is smaller than my domestics. Rio Otopia* are a larger species and are pretty colorful as well.
Like the PP said, mogurako* is a great person to ask about wilds. Very helpful when I was looking into them.

Last edited:
AQ advisor is usually pretty good about giving the correct info, but they also give very generous readings on things so if it says 103% overstocked it probably means that you'll be right around stocking level but not over.
Convicts are especially aggressive when they spawn, so I'd keep only females rather than a pair as a pair will likely stress whatever other fish you plan to have while spawning, if not kill them.
Convicts were never mentioned. Cryptoheros nanoluteus is referred to as a "yellow convict" but is actually in an entirely different genus. These are much less aggro spawners than amatitlania nigrofasciatus (convict)

Convicts were never mentioned. Cryptoheros nanoluteus is referred to as a "yellow convict" but is actually in an entirely different genus. These are much less aggro spawners than amatitlania nigrofasciatus (convict)

Yeah, I only said yellow convict because it was too early here to type the scientific name! Okay so I know im gonna do only females because they stay a bit smaller and they just stand out to me! I think you said I could do 4 females hukit. So as for others that would go perfect, what would yall suggest? Things that have the same cichlid preference and that only get around maybe no more that 2 inches or so

Honestly 3-4 nanoluteus and a school of tetras is really all that tank can support, I wouldn't personally add anything else.

Okay! Thats not a problem. I dont mind cleaning it up! I can still have plants right? Not a bunch mayne some anubis tied to rocks and some swords

Back
Top Bottom