36 gallon tank stocking ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigRedBetta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I may be getting a 36 gallon from Petsmart. It's 100 dollars, on sale and comes with a filter, hood with lights, slime coat water conditioner, and filter cartridges.
I plan on doing a community aquarium, and was curious as to what the best fish would be. I'm not a beginner, I've had my ten gallon about 5 years + tons of bettas and mini aquariums.
I'm think about adding an angelfish, and owning a ten gallon, I've never had one. May I have advice on angels?
I also plan to have mollies, platies, swordtails, guppies, corycats, and a few others (not all at once but a few of these species). Would a couple dwarf gouramis do well in this size aquarium? I'm just so used to the ten gallon that I'm not sure how to stock this tank. How long should it be cycled?
And one more question, is it too heavy to keep upstairs? If so, I may have to arrange a place downstairs.
Thanks in advance for any answers!

Angelfish in general are peaceful but might try to consume small tetras or live bearer fry

I've always loved the idea of an angelfish with 2 Dwarf Flame Gouramis, a large school of Harlequin Rasboras, and ( I'm not sure if this is compatible) 1 or 2 swordtails!!!!!!!:D I think it would look amazing!!!!

Just watch out for fin nippers when stocking because of the angelfish, and make sure you have plenty of hiding places!!!!! Good Luck!!!!!

It will be fine upstairs, dont even think twice about it. You could keep huge takes in the upstairs of any house that isnt falling apart. As for stock, angels get quite large, but take a while to reach full size. A community with 2 angels as the center pices would be fine for a while. You really should have more then 1 Dwarf Gourami in that size tank. They can be agressive twoards one another, and can stress each other to death. The angels would most likley eat all fry coming from guppies, or mollies and platty. The angels also may not enjoy the company of the larger finned guppies and swords. 2 angels, 1 dwarf gourami, 3-5 platy, and 6 panda cory cats would be a great start.

Sorry for the really late post, but any pics?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom