3G Reef - 360 degree Dome Tank - Stocking Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mhilluf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I am setting up home tanks using product I get from my company for free.

The tanks are these 3 Gallon Dome tanks (Snow Globes).

I have my fresh water tank running great (after some newbie fails early on) and want to try salt water. I found a good "nano reefs for beginners" guide and one of my LFS does a lot of nano stuff.

I am at the moment planning to do crushed coral, a bit of live rock and a small clean up crew. I am thinking one herm and one or two snails that stay small. I'd like to add in a star fish, but will see due to space issues.

Eventually, I will bring in some small coral.

The question is, what (if any), fish or shrimp or invert could I add in. If the answer is none, it is none and I will be happy with my small coral + herm/snail tank :)

As to fish or shrimp, I am considering sexy shrimp, but still looking around. The NICE thing about the shape of this tank is that it has a huge footprint for its size (16 inch diameter) and its not very tall (9 inches) so it FEELS big for a 3 gallon.

I really don't want to put any fish in it that get bigger than an inch to an an inch and a half. I'd rather have a few minnows than some poor beautiful fish that would be crushed into a small tank.

Pic of the tank below (not my set up).

Attachments

• Salt3.jpg
    Salt3.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 158
If you can work out the mechanics of it all (filtration, waterflow, gas Exchange, and temperature along with salinity and other parameters) I would fill it with a ton of small coral clippings that your lighting can keep and for inverts cause I don't believe any fish should be kept in there I would have a pom pom crab and pistol shrimp

I think that the issue you may find in keeping corals in this set up is your ability to circulate the water and generate (current) for the corals. The lighting could possibly be supplemented with natural sunlight but I think the temperature is going to be an issue as well. The tank is cool looking but there is almost zero surface area for gas exchange. I think that most nano reefers and micro reefers are successful because of open top tanks with good gas exchange.

I am curious to see how this all works out for you and will tag along.

Best of luck!

Current shouldnt be an issue. Its filter cycles the whole tank 20 times per hour. But thanks for thr tip. I will check for deadzones before i place anything

Back
Top Bottom