3rd angelfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have a 75 gallon with 2 "teenager" angels. I'm not sure the sexs but they act like best friends always swimming together. I have not noticed them spawn or anything however and they aren't really aggressive towards anyone else. However I'm scared If I add a 3rd angel they will be mean towards it since I have read of this happening. Here are pics about a month old if you guys can tell sex

Attachments

• image-2226644254.jpg
    image-2226644254.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 72
  • image-3105546249.jpg
    image-3105546249.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 92
The body shapes I think show male and female the black ones make the other female. I wouldn't risk adding another angel if they are not bothering anyone else or each other. Adding one more might throw everything out of whack.

Yep with 3 you never know. I had 2 in a 55 for ten months and added a third and that was the end of the peace. The 2 I had were female the new one was a male and it paired with one of the ones I already had. So I had to give the other to the lfs.

You can't know for sure if it'll work or not. Its possible. I've had 3 in my 75 for about 10 months now. The two largest will squabble every once and a while, but nothing serious. The third is still surprisingly small, so perhaps its still yet to mature, and that might change things.
If you decide to do it make sure you have lots of tall plants to break the line of sight. Also make sure you have a backup plan, whether its another tank or a LFS willing to take it from you. Good luck and let us know how it goes

You can't know for sure if it'll work or not. Its possible. I've had 3 in my 75 for about 10 months now. The two largest will squabble every once and a while, but nothing serious. The third is still surprisingly small, so perhaps its still yet to mature, and that might change things.
If you decide to do it make sure you have lots of tall plants to break the line of sight. Also make sure you have a backup plan, whether its another tank or a LFS willing to take it from you. Good luck and let us know how it goes

+1 to the above. Have a backup plan if you decide to add more.

When you say "teenager" how are you defining that time frame? These fish look small to me based on the pics. Maybe the body size of a quarter? If this is accurate, you should be able to add more about the same size with little problem. Angels are a schooling fish which can explain why your 2 stay together. When one adds to a collection, the fish have a hierarchy that they establish so some squabbles do occur but are usually short lived. This would not be the reason to not add to the school.

Lastly, to me, these both look more like females than male & female. I'm using the finnage from the Black one but there appears to be the outer edge of the ovipositor (a.k.a. Papillia, breeding tube) which looks more blunt than pointed on the other fish which would also be a female. These are both only hunches as the only guaranteed way to sex Angels is when they are spawning. The female is the one laying the eggs :brows: lol

Hope this helps (y)

+1 to the above. Have a backup plan if you decide to add more. When you say "teenager" how are you defining that time frame? These fish look small to me based on the pics. Maybe the body size of a quarter? If this is accurate, you should be able to add more about the same size with little problem. Angels are a schooling fish which can explain why your 2 stay together. When one adds to a collection, the fish have a hierarchy that they establish so some squabbles do occur but are usually short lived. This would not be the reason to not add to the school. Lastly, to me, these both look more like females than male & female. I'm using the finnage from the Black one but there appears to be the outer edge of the ovipositor (a.k.a. Papillia, breeding tube) which looks more blunt than pointed on the other fish which would also be a female. These are both only hunches as the only guaranteed way to sex Angels is when they are spawning. The female is the one laying the eggs :brows: lol Hope this helps (y)

Those pics are old, here are some updated pics of their size now :)

Attachments

• image-2882571072.jpg
    image-2882571072.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 63
  • image-1167673873.jpg
    image-1167673873.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 66
Okay, their size will determine just how easy they will accept any new comers. If they are over quarter size and more 1/2 dollar size, I wouldn't add just one fish to them By adding more than one, they would help deflect 100% harassment.

BTW, I still don't see enough to change my gender guess ;)

Okay, their size will determine just how easy they will accept any new comers. If they are over quarter size and more 1/2 dollar size, I wouldn't add just one fish to them By adding more than one, they would help deflect 100% harassment. BTW, I still don't see enough to change my gender guess ;)

So you think if I decide to add more angels I should add 2 instead of 1 ? I'd say their bodies are half dollar size

My very limited experience with multiple angles suggests you better have a backup plan. I had two that got along great for 6-7 months. I went on vacation on weekend and came back to my marbled nearly beaten to death. I separated them for a couple days, rearranged the tanks. I then re introduced them just to see what would happen and they went back to fighting. I do believe they are the same gender though

You have km remember angels are cichlids and you don't know what kind of temperament your going to get.

Back
Top Bottom