4 hatchets have died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ac30fan

Aquarium Advice Activist
For 3 weeks, my tank has been healthy & fish happy. 29 gallon, plastic planted tank with Marineland bio-wheel 200 & Fluval 206. 6 Corys, 5 hatchet fish, 1 gourami. Waiting to add some middle swimmers when I decide on variety.

In a 12 hour period I lost 4 of 5 hatchets. Prior to Sunday ammo & nitrites always were zero. But for past 2 days, nitrites look to be between 2-5ppm, nitrates are about 40ppm. Ammonia is low, but not zero, .25 Am I in a mini cycle? Why would params chg after bring so stable?

I have done weekly partial water changes since adding fish, but did not do one this past weekend. Since the loss on Sunday into Monday, I've done two 50% water changes to try & lower the nitrates. I only add Prime, no other additives, during wc.

The gourami occasionally will chase the hatchets, and I dont know if that stressed them into shock, or if my water conditions weakened them. The 1 remaining hatchet still appears to be acting normal, and other fish presently seem to be healthy.

To be honest I wonder if I'm over feeding? I may over compensate with pellets out of concerns the Corys are not getting enough food. However The mech filtration of both units did not appear to be overly covered in food or goo when I inspected them during tonites wc.

Thanks

So was it three weeks since the 25 days of cycling?

Are you using tank or treated water to rinse your filter when you clean it and are you keeping the same filter pad the whole time, just rinsing it until it falls apart?

I am sorry for your losses. I have to run to bed and early work, so I will check in and see how the progress is in the evening Wed.

How are your water parameters now after the water changes?

So was it three weeks since the 25 days of cycling?

Are you using tank or treated water to rinse your filter when you clean it and are you keeping the same filter pad the whole time, just rinsing it until it falls apart?

I am sorry for your losses. I have to run to bed and early work, so I will check in and see how the progress is in the evening Wed.

How are your water parameters now after the water changes?

Yes 25 days of cycling, then added fish on Feb04.

I learned the hard way to use tank water for cleaning media during the cycle. Adding untreated water to top off tank stalled my initial cycle. And I haven't tossed out any pads/media since the filters are new.

Water params are steady for 2 days, as in orig post: ammo = .25 / nitrite = 2 to 5 / nitrate = 20-40ppm

Just crossing my fingers these drop soon.

Thanks for the condolences. I just hope to avoid any other losses

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom