40-80 nitrate in Biocube 29!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggpaul

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, so I've had my barebottom biocube 29 for about 6 months, and up until mid July (last time I tested for Nitrates) Nitrates were at 0. I was all proud, because I always read how people had 20 nitrates all the time. Well, for a few days some of my corals haven't looked that great, so I check Nitrates and they were between 40-80!!! What happened? I added 1 fish and then another fish jumped out, so bioload is about the same. Did something accumulate somewhere?

Stock- 2 clowns, 1 flameback angel, 1 red flamehawk (new addition), and 1 purple firefish. And about 20 corals, and some crabs/snails.

I run a skimmer and have over 30 lbs of live rock. I don't run Carbon. I still have the bioballs in there, and I just was able to clean a handful of them a few days ago after noticing the problem and I saw that a lot of junk came off of them.

Is the problem with the bioballs? Lots of ditritus on them? I haven't vacuumed the bare bottom in a while, so I'm thinking lots of it accumulated on the floor.

I noticed in chamber 1 there is a lot of dirt and junk on the floor, so maybe I should vacuum that? Would Chaeto in the 2nd chamber help?

I think the bio balls might be part of the problem. Hopefully someone else will chime in, but I'm pretty sure they are Nitrate factories. Most of what I have read suggests not using them. Cleaning then was probably a good idea and you should do some pretty big water changes to bring your levels down.

Dump the balls for live rock.

I have over 30 lbs of live rock in the tank. you mean I should put more in chamber 2? How about cheato?

I just don't get how nitrates were at zero for 6 months and now they are around 60. I did vacuum a lot of nasty junk off the tank floor and chamber 1 yesterday, and did a 4 gallon water change.

I have prob 5lbs in my back chamber. Any changes you had?? Fish coral?

I have prob 5lbs in my back chamber. Any changes you had?? Fish coral?

In the last 1 1/2 months I added a flameback angel and red flamehawk fish.

but that puts my fish at only 5. I added a green leather a few weeks ago, that's about it. I had a heliofungia that died and I left it in there until only the skeleton was left, you think that was the problem?

I was feeding a lot in the last few weeks, cuz everytime I come near the tank the fish swim to the front like they are starving. I felt bad each time and fed them.

I blame the bioballs. You dont need them in a reef tank since your rock and sand are your biological filtration. :)

I run an intank media basket and a uv in the middle section. i have an in the tank skimmer for now as well.

I think if you removed the bioballs you would have lower nitrates going forward once you get them back down.

I blame the bioballs. You dont need them in a reef tank since your rock and sand are your biological filtration. :)

I run an intank media basket and a uv in the middle section. i have an in the tank skimmer for now as well.

I think if you removed the bioballs you would have lower nitrates going forward once you get them back down.

I have a barebottom tank with over 30lbs of live rock. I have a skimmer in chamber 1. So do you think the bioballs collected ditritus over the 6 months? because nitrates were at zero for 6 months until now. I didn't change the filter pad for a while and water was just spilling over it , so probably lots of junk went down into chamber 2

Need sand for sure. Can run nothing but like stated above its filtration too. Flame angel is fairly big for that tank so he will create a lot of waste. Ammonia was normal?

Need sand for sure. Can run nothing but like stated above its filtration too. Flame angel is fairly big for that tank so he will create a lot of waste. Ammonia was normal?

Yes, ammonia and nitrites are zero. It's not a flame angel, it's an African flameback, so he's a bit smaller. I wonder if its causing that huge spike. I'm going to try chaeto.

I would say more on the bioball side of things actually. Those fish are not huge and i would think more would be off if it was the problem. Water changes will help. But the media basket is a good idea or rock.

I agree, lose the bioballs, they are nitrate factories. I used bioball and couldnt get nitrates below 20. I removed them and did a couple water changes and my trates are zero.

I agree, lose the bioballs, they are nitrate factories. I used bioball and couldnt get nitrates below 20. I removed them and did a couple water changes and my trates are zero.

My nitrates were zero too for a long time with bioballs though. You think with the added bio load (2 fish in last month) it can't to the job then?

Back
Top Bottom