40 g stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bruinsbro1997 said:
Well...sorry too lazy to scroll back to see your stock list :D could you tell me what it is please? :)

What fish were you thinking?

Oh
2x angelfish
2x rams (german or bolivian)
7x hatchetfish
Need a school of about 7 that wont get eaten by angels

Gboy66 said:
Hey would a peacock eel work well in a 40 gal planted with tons of hiding spots and water flow?

They like quiet water with sand or fine gravel so they can bury themselves.
You need to seal up any openings they are escape artists !!!

They will eat small fish at night. I fed ours frozen bloodworms n Brine Shrimp with a turkey baster. Best to feed after lights out so other fish don't get all the food.

They are social so if you get a bigger tank you can have more than one.

So yes it can work, but you'd need to plan tank mates carefully.

Haha ya, well i wouldnt have anything in there too small, as ill have an angel pair. Are they mean to ground feeders like bn plecos? Us eco complete fine enough? Sorry but do they uproot plants also? Haha guy at petsmart said they eat pellets but i dont think theyd like that much

Oh
2x angelfish
2x rams (german or bolivian)
7x hatchetfish
Need a school of about 7 that wont get eaten by angels
That sounds good. I would add a small school of corys also. YOu could also get a bnp or clown pleco or pitbull plecos.
Angel-safe schoolers include lemon tetras, serpae tetras, silver tip tetras, rummies, x-rays, kuhli loaches, skirt tetras, and others.
Platys are not schoolers, but they are fun, bright colored, peaceful, and hardy.

absolutangel04 said:
That sounds good. I would add a small school of corys also. YOu could also get a bnp or clown pleco or pitbull plecos.
Angel-safe schoolers include lemon tetras, serpae tetras, silver tip tetras, rummies, x-rays, kuhli loaches, skirt tetras, and others.
Platys are not schoolers, but they are fun, bright colored, peaceful, and hardy.

Ya, thanks for the great ideas!! Im going to get a bn pleco, and might go with...7 lemons? Are they hardy? Iv heard rummys arent so thats why i xed them out

Ya, thanks for the great ideas!! Im going to get a bn pleco, and might go with...7 lemons? Are they hardy? Iv heard rummys arent so thats why i xed them out
Yeah, i have heard mixed reviews about rummies. I have them and have not had a problem. They colored up the instant I put them in my tank and have great ever since. But then bruinsbro has had a horrendous time with them. Personally, I think they should be fine as long as you make sure they were tank bred and come from a respectable lfs with a clean looking tank. But, they are on the more sensitive side of tetras. Lemons are more hardy. :) Its all up to you. Try going to your lfs and seeing what they have in stock that looks good and healthy.

Ya will do!! Any suggestions if u should get hatchets or not or how many to get?

Personally, I think hatchet are ugly, but they would be fine for the set-up. 7 sounds fine. From everything I have heard, they are peaceful. Just make sure your lid fits well. :)

Haha ya i think theyr ugly, but kinda cool in a way? I also like how theyv adapted to being able to jump and such..kinda makes a nice mixture of top swimmers too!!

K so updated stocking plan

2x angelfish
7-10x glolight tetras (im gunna see how that works out, keep a very close eye on them)
7x hatchetfish
1x gourami (opaline or gold work?)
1x peacock eel
1x featherfin
1x bn pleco

I think you are asking for trouble with the glowlights in there. Angels, the peacock eel and the featherfin would all eat them. Taking a risk with the glows and angels is one thing, but also with a peacock eel? You are basically giving your tank a really expensive lunch.

Your right! Hadent considered the feather could but ya i bet he will soon.. I think ill replace them with another tetra lemons? Would long fin danios work?

Your right! Hadent considered the feather could but ya i bet he will soon.. I think ill replace them with another tetra lemons? Would long fin danios work?
Either of those would work fine.
I still have to say though, that 40 really isn't big enough for a featherfin or an eel. I think I saw you say you were going to give the eel away once he gets big, but be careful. If you get attached and stall on giving him away, you will stunt his growth.
You said you read 40 was the bare minimum for a featherfin, but that means a featherfin ALONE. Not sharing the space with a big eel. Why don't you look into similar looking but smaller catfish?

Hey guys what about only 1 angel? Then some gouramis or somthing? Any good, usually healthy, types?

If you only add one angel, you have space for 1 gourami. Your other fish are adding a lot of bioload, so I would just get 1 gourami. DG seem to have the most issues. Remind me of your whole stock again, maybe you have space for 2 smaller ones like honeys, but tell me your stock again first. :)

7x hatchetfish
1x angel
1x featherfin
1x peacock eel
1x bn pleco
1-2x mystery snails
Gouramis??
I have 7 glolights but wont put them in

EDIT: also, maybe one bolivian ram? No?

Ok, you definitely have room for a couple of gouramis. :) Many of them do not get along with their own kind though. So, you could get 1 opaline, blue, or gold. OR, you could get 2 honey gourami or 2 dwarf gouramis. Pearl gouramis are another option, but I have to double check if 1 or 2 would be a good idea. I think 2 would be ok, but I am not positive. Any of those sound nice?
Since you are not putting in the glowlights, you could maybe get a different tetra like lemons or pristella.

I would just get 6 lemons and an opaline gourami. :) Aim for 6 of each schooler, and you can always add another one later.

Back
Top Bottom