40 Gallon 1st timer setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's probably what I would do if I didn't make one myself. You may also want to get one that has more then one bulb... like 2-4 as you have a nice size tank and you need more light power to be able to reach the bottom of the tank. Probably only 2

Are you saying that I should get a 2nd filter or can that media be added to the AquaClear I plan on buying? Thanks!

well for substrate i would recommend a sand. i've used gravel my whole life but on my last tank i tried some pfs and i love. not to mention 2 50 lb bags at 5 each would be more than enough for your 40 gallon a lot cheaper than gravel from a fish store.
here's a link to my tank journal if you want a reference to what it looks like, i bought this at home depot.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/10-gallon-shrimp-moss-scape-journal-134791.html

Sorry it's been so long since I looked at a new one... I think they come with some of that kind of filtration media.

yes all aqua-clears come with the sponge, bio-max, and carbon. personally i would set the carbon aside and add either another sponge, or bio-max part. oh and don't listen to the replacement times. you only want to replace the sponge when it's literally falling apart, or the bio-max probably never. only use the carbon when you have a need for it. such as removing meds from the tank.

yes all aqua-clears come with the sponge, bio-max, and carbon. personally i would set the carbon aside and add either another sponge, or bio-max part. oh and don't listen to the replacement times. you only want to replace the sponge when it's literally falling apart, or the bio-max probably never. only use the carbon when you have a need for it. such as removing meds from the tank.
+1

you will however want to rinse your product off especially your sponge, on a regular basis. (in non chlorinated water) just to get off the large particles and to prevent clogging of your media

Haha thanks for getting the important step I missed. Haha I'm still getting used to giving advice rather than receiving. :)

I'm going to sleep, good luck with your purchases and I look forward to seeing what you come home with :D

Welp.. Just got back from my local Petsmart and Petco.. Neither of them have the AquaClear110. When asked about what size tank I have and I said 40g, they offered many other brands but I've read such good reviews for the AquaClear I'll just wait and order it. They did have the AquaClear70.. Would that one be too weak for my tank? I really don't want to have to wait to get this thing going but I don't want to sacrifice quality..

I picked up a hood as well as a siphon.

Jeremy, what are the benefits to sand? I like the way it looks but I heard that it's incredibly hard to clean and since the nearest sink is down two flights of stairs I didn't want to open up a can of worms for myself. Any advice?

Thanks!!

Welp.. Just got back from my local Petsmart and Petco.. Neither of them have the AquaClear110. When asked about what size tank I have and I said 40g, they offered many other brands but I've read such good reviews for the AquaClear I'll just wait and order it. They did have the AquaClear70.. Would that one be too weak for my tank? I really don't want to have to wait to get this thing going but I don't want to sacrifice quality..

I picked up a hood as well as a siphon.

Jeremy, what are the benefits to sand? I like the way it looks but I heard that it's incredibly hard to clean and since the nearest sink is down two flights of stairs I didn't want to open up a can of worms for myself. Any advice?

Thanks!!
i would go for the ac 110 if you can the 70 might work but it's always better to have more filtration than not enough. patience is a virtue specially in aquariums haha.

pfs well to me it looks more natural, some fish have to have it such has corys and such because they have sensitive whiskers that can get cut up on gravel. it also makes planting easier because it holds onto roots better. and cleaning wise i'm not sure which you mean. all gravel and sand both need to be cleaned before placing in the aquarium sand just takes some more rinsing to clean out the dust and lighter particles. and as far as maintnence cleaning goes i think it's easier to maintain because it keeps all the dirt on top so all you do is hover your siphon over the area and it'll suck up the dirt, where as gravel you have to dig around in the gravel to get all the pieces out

oh and how do you plan on filling the tank up and doing water changes? that's a long distance for a sink...

Ahh ok I see.. So maintenance won't be too much of a hassle because the waste stays on top.. Good to know. I checked out your journal and it does look quite awesome. Could I get the sand in black? Also how many lbs should I buy?

About the sink, yea that really sucks for me.. I will be having to make MULTIPLE trips up and down the stairs. Either that or I have to make some type of elevator contraption to get the water up and down ;)

haha that's going to be a pain. is it too far for a python type deal? and the fish store has tahitian moon sand but i'm nut sure how much it is. it's going to be more expensive than pfs which why i went with it. and these are just inert substrates, there are other specially for plants, flourite black sand, and eco complete is black and kinda sandy haha.

Just watched a video on the Python.. I think if I get the 100ft model I might be able to make it work.. Thanks for this suggestion!!

Ok I will l look into the flourite black sand and eco complete. About how many lbs do you think I'll need?

Just added the AquaClear 110 to cart... Any suggestions on water conditioners or similar treatment drops? Might as well order that while I order this filter..

Thanks again!

well i have 65 pounds of gravel in my 55 not sure the difference in gravel and sand but i used a 50 pound bag of sand for my 10 and only used maybe 1/4 of it. maybe some else will chime in but i would start with 50 pounds and go from there. and a lot of people suggest prime as their water condintioner.

Ok cool. Added "Seachem Prime".. I'll start with the 50lbs and take it from there.. Will update when my parts arrive!

I use fluorite black sand, make sure to rinse it REALLY well, or you will have a nice cloudy mess in your tank, but its great media for planted tanks, I really like it, and it looks great in my 40 gallon osaka tank.

As for the python, definetly your best bet! You can cut the cost buying the 25' and then making your own extension with bulk 1/2" tubing and a coupling device, or just making your own as well with buying the parts and tubing. There are a few other manufacturers such as Lee's and Marina who also make them.

Seachem has a calculator on how many bags of fluorite you would need for your tank, I usually do about a 2" substrate. (Scroll down to bottom and enter tank dimensions)
Seachem. Flourite Black Sand

I use fluorite black sand, make sure to rinse it REALLY well, or you will have a nice cloudy mess in your tank, but its great media for planted tanks, I really like it, and it looks great in my 40 gallon osaka tank.

As for the python, definetly your best bet! You can cut the cost buying the 25' and then making your own extension with bulk 1/2" tubing and a coupling device, or just making your own as well with buying the parts and tubing. There are a few other manufacturers such as Lee's and Marina who also make them.

Seachem has a calculator on how many bags of fluorite you would need for your tank, I usually do about a 2" substrate. (Scroll down to bottom and enter tank dimensions)
Seachem. Flourite Black Sand

Great info! Thanks for that advice!

Got some stuff in the mail today :)..
Got the hood, water changer tool, Master Test kit, thermometers, and Seachem Prime conditioner.
Tomorrow my AquaClear 110 comes in and instead of black gravel I decided to go with pool filter sand.. I'll be picking that up tomorrow as well as some live plants.
Do I need an air pump? Anything else I should pick up tomorrow?
Thanks again all!!

Attachments

• IMG00459-20101014-1656.jpg
    IMG00459-20101014-1656.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG00460-20101014-1656.jpg
    IMG00460-20101014-1656.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG00461-20101014-1658.jpg
    IMG00461-20101014-1658.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 57
Back