40 gallon biotope build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are doing great. Still not hiding but the little buggers can be hard to find. Right out in the open but blending in so well. Really funny to see them sucking onto the bottom side of the tall dw and hanging straight down. They don't spend any time on the sand. It's all spent on the dw and leaves. I have a whole bunch of levels for bottom feeders but the corys prefer being on the sand for most of the time. The red lizards don't seem interested in any food I feed but I think that's because right now they're sucking the biofilm off every surface they can find.
No clue when I'll go for more fish yet. Don't worry I'll make sure I get the oil cats.

Do you think they are more active at night? They are probably eating stuff at night.
Ok, but I have been waiting an awfully long time for those oil cats!

I've turned the light on at night for a quick look. They're still doing the same thing while the corys are all huddled around their algae wafer. I know the red lizards eat though because I've seen them clean around a leaf stem top and bottom.
Patience will do you a lot of good. I might have room for more corys too. We'll see about that though.

Or a dwarf cichlid. Still lots to think about even with what I have in there already.

I thought the keyhole would have been fine in your tank, so I definitley think the dwarf striped cichlid would be good in there if you wanted it. Then you could get a different dwarf cichlid for your 20g. ;)

Dwarf striped are small though. I could get something a little bigger like an apisto or dwarf flag. My tank is nearly as bottom heavy as your's is and I have a bigger footprint.

True. You could save the dwarf striped for the 20g. I do like apistos. Are there any in specific you like? I am still pretty in love with the dwarf flag personally. :)

The dwarf flag is awesome but I think you're getting it and I can live through you. I looked at some apistos mainly cockatoos and agassizi but I'm sure there are tons of others. Gold dwarf cichlids are nice too.

One red lizard is down on the sand now on a leaf. I goaded it into it though by saying it never does it lol.

Yeah, gold dwarves are pretty cool. Would you consider the SA mouth-brooding one? I really like the agassizi personally.
If you want an apisto, severum mama usually has cool ones when she puts up stock threads. They seem to usually go pretty quick though. I know the Wet Spot has them too, but I like that severum mama has pictures.

I forget. Which one is the mouth brooding one? The one I showed you was the only one I knew and the one I meant. Is there another gold dwarf cichlid?
I can get agassizi and cockatoos here sometimes but still nice to know I have options if I decide I want something else. Options are probably not something I need any more of though lol

No, there is just one golden dwarf. I was referring to the one the one we discussed earlier. Lol, I can't remember the name of the SA mouthbrooder at the moment. I do mean the ones we talked about earlier. Thats the only SA mouthbrooder I know of.
I think you should have tons and tons of options!

I forget which one that was. That's because i started looking up spadetailed checkerboards and started to drool. Pretty small too.

Oh yeah duh it's the Inca stone fish. I forgot they were mouthbrooders.

I might but they are a bit plain. The mouthbrooding is something I'd never even see and that's the thing that makes them the most interesting.

One down about 50 more to go. No idea if I'd be ok with more than one so I'm just starting with one.

Back
Top Bottom