40 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bolivian rams, apistos, dwarf golden acara, and kribensis would all work. So would a keyhole. It's not a dwarf cichlid but stays small. You can do a few if the tank is nicely planted. If you want a pair (male and female) then don't add any others. :)

I agree with siva about the species. I think you could be ok to have 2 pairs of dwarves if you put in enough site breakers, but 1 pair would be safer.
There are some other cichlids that would work in that size tank as well if you don't need them to be dwarves :)

In addition to the cichlids mentioned I think African Butterfly cichlids can work. They're not really dwarves but they're really nice ones :)

Along with convicts I think a pair of fire mouths would be nice as well.

There are also various Tanganykian shell dwellers, Julidiochromis transcriptus, and Calvus that would work in a 40 (2 species, not all together.)
For Malawi cichlids there are a few species of mbuna or peacocks small enough to keep a group (1-2m/4-6f) given enough rocks/cover.
Severums grow way too large for a 40, a pair of firemouths would claim the whole tank as their territory.

Back
Top Bottom