45G Angelfish/Community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Airious

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone!

I am here to say whatsup, and give you a little background about me. I have had primarily angelfish for the last 5 - 6 years, with about 1 year of down time. Im currently (hopefully) at the end of my cycle and am apprehensive if my impatience after a year being without a tank is going to be my downfall. Im about two weeks into having the tank set up and have a total 7 fish in the tank.

Really I would be ecstatic if all of the fish I have survived the cycle due to me jumping in to quickly, but without having enough money to buy the API kit and having to buy new filter, air pump, LED light and heater, im stuck at massive PWC's daily.

But first, my fish :) I have 5 angels, two introduced a week ago, 3 introduced a day ago, as well as a pleco, red tail shark and two rams.

To assist in the cycle i Have added 15 gallons of established tank water about 3 days ago, and have also added 4 - 5 rocks from an established tank.

I am using 50% carbon and 50% Zeolite as secondary filtration media.

My water changes are twice daily the first being (In a 45g tank) 10 gallons in the morning, and 17 gallons in the evening.

So far the fish get more active and friendly every day, especially when its feeding time ( two pinches of flake food in the morning ( 9 AM and two pinches of Blood worms at night with 1 pinch of flake food 11 PM)

But im still concerned about my nitrogen cycle, as I always am when I start a new tank. My biggest question is about WC. I have never been so excited about the set up of my tank as I am now, and the specific fish, all but a few are perfect specimens that I don't want to lose. Are twice daily WC one 10 gallon and the other 15gallon enough or should i go to a every 2 - 3 hour 25% regimen on a 45G tank?

Yes I will be buying the API testing kit, I hadnt realized that mine was sent to the dump after our last move. but really any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

so far I have lost 2 male guppies; 1 due to water conditions i think, the other from bullying of my other fish. my angels and two rams i dont want to lose though.:lol:

Again I am fairly experienced, but withought the APi kit id love to hear your thoughts.

Forgot the pics last night, I know yall want to see :)

5u4c53.jpg

21mezoo.jpg

15oba1d.jpg

2rrxmqt.jpg

v5xqht.jpg

30dcifl.jpg

Just wanted to post back for any of you that may have been concerned; ammonia 0, nitrates and nitrites not 0, but as close as they could have been, but they read closest to 0 on the scale.

What do you keep in your Angel tank besides angels?

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Right now I have Ram Cichlids and a Red tailed Shark. Soon I will be introducing another breed that is more of a schooling fish, but unfortunately the name eludes me right now as it is a breed my wife wanted:)

The Rams though are an incredible addition to my angel tank :)

Back
Top Bottom