46gal stocking list, what do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adeebm

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So last time I introduced 5 cardinal tetras to my new yank(yes, it's cycled), they all died overnight. I tried again last week and all 6 made it! I guess 2hr drip acclimatiob did the trick. They're all healthy and eating, so it's time for more fish! :D

Here is my plan to stock the 46gal:
6 cardinal tetra
6 Von rio tetra
6 hatchetfish
6 corys
1 BN pleco
1 angelfish(if I'm feeling lucky)

what do you guys think? Is that overstocking or will it be okay? I could leave out the corys and angelfish.

--Adeeb

Congratulations. That stock list is great, I think if you wanted you could add 1-2 to the schools. 26 fish... really you have 18 low bio-load fish in the top of the tank and one cichlid with a medium bio-load.

Then on bottom you have 7 fish, one of which has a high bio-load. So really if you wanted to I think you could stock more especially with bottom dwellers in that footprint.

I'd leave out the angelfish and get another group of small fish. The angel might snack on your cardinals.

I would ditch the hatchets and up the numbers of cardinals and von rios. I have 10 von rios in my 30g and I wish I had doubled it. They are so fun to watch. You can add an angel, I would buy it small and add it to the tank last. I have no problems with a large koi angel in my 30g with neons and von rios.

Got the Von Rios yesterday! They seemed paler than other ones I've seen, hopefully they'll color up.

I was thinking, would Blue Rams work instead of angelfish? My pH is 8.2, and kH&GH 200ppm+. They probably wouldn't like that right? I'm tired of trying to change my pH, and RO water is a pain to deal with for every WC.

--Adeeb

Congrats on the rios. They will color up, give them time. Mine were small and slightly pale when I got them - a few days later they were a nice bright orange. Not sure about the rams, I guess it would depend on the stock. I know HN1 and severum mamma have some rams for sale now. They look nice and healthy. They would probably be your best bet, imo.

Back
Top Bottom