5.5 gallon metaframe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homer8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My grandfather gave me 3 metaframe tanks. i used to have them when i was younger but they all cracked and lucky for me he kept them. I have removed all the glass and replaced everything, including the slate with acrylic. It was my first time using acrylic and using the welding solution. I think the tank came out great and i not have it fully stocked with pygmy cories and a betta.

I know it is slightly over stocked but with frequent water changes and it is a low tech planted tank so I think i will be fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0393.jpg
    IMG_0393.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 135
I used to have 10g metaframe tank with a slate bottom. It was the tank my mom kept fish in and where I discovered my love for this hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've still got one of these. Had to fix it, it cracked.. not a big deal though. They used such thin glass in those, compared to modern all glass construction. Nice the acrylic worked.

I've still got one of these. Had to fix it, it cracked.. not a big deal though. They used such thin glass in those, compared to modern all glass construction. Nice the acrylic worked.

its weird that they use better glass now then back then considering how cheap they make the modern 10 gallon tank. I love these things and if I could I would save everyone of them. I would love to be able to fix them all and resell them but at the price of $50 for a 5 gallon tank, just to make it, i dont think i will have too many buyers. plus i have to find the frames.

There were reasons they were made the way they were. For one, glass was not cheap. So the thickness used was only what was necessary. And because the metal frames were so rigid, much thinner glass was all that was necessary.

The big expense was the silicone. It was a very new product when these tanks were made and expensive. Far more expensive than it is today, when we take it for granted. So they used another glue to attach the glass inside the frames first and then only enough silicone to make them water tight.

The ones I've resealed appeared to have some sort of asphalt based cement holding the glass to the metal, which was rock hard and very difficult to remove if the glass pane needed to be replaced.

When all glass tanks started to become available, they were quite costly, because it took so much more silicone to make one that way, and of course, commensurately thicker glass as well.

There were reasons they were made the way they were. For one, glass was not cheap. So the thickness used was only what was necessary. And because the metal frames were so rigid, much thinner glass was all that was necessary.

The big expense was the silicone. It was a very new product when these tanks were made and expensive. Far more expensive than it is today, when we take it for granted. So they used another glue to attach the glass inside the frames first and then only enough silicone to make them water tight.

The ones I've resealed appeared to have some sort of asphalt based cement holding the glass to the metal, which was rock hard and very difficult to remove if the glass pane needed to be replaced.

When all glass tanks started to become available, they were quite costly, because it took so much more silicone to make one that way, and of course, commensurately thicker glass as well.

Wow that is interesting. It is really hard to find information on these tanks. I have found that if you soak the tank in hot water in the bathtub is softens the old "tar"

Back
Top Bottom