5 Gal Filter died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kennyyoli

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Aqueon filter died on my cycled and running 5 gal tank with our beloved Fred. Going to run down and pick up a new filter. Probably not going with the Aqueon again, but rather a AquaClear 20. (Tired of buying the expensive aqueon elements.) The media is obviously different, so what should my procedure be for the AquaClear? The tank is cycled and running well. Should I take the Aqueon element and "rinse" it out in the tank to help colonize the new filter? Thanks in advance for the help :)

Yep, just throw in the old media to "seed" the new one included with the aquaclear. I'd throw out the carbon that comes with it too-- can actually do more harm than good and you can replace it with more sponge or bio balls. More filtration ftw! BTW, nice filter choice! ;) I'm assuming you already know not to throw out your filter media unless it's falling apart so you should be set for a LONG time!

Yes! I had read that I should probably just ditch the carbon portion of the filtration and go with more bio rings or foam. Off to Petco I go :) Thanks a ton for the reply

Back
Top Bottom