5 Gallon tank at work...now 10g....9/24/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
Since the tank-setup diary threads seem to be so popular, as well as helpful, I thought I'd document the ongoing setup of my 5 gallon tank at work. For those of you who follow these diaries, this is Purrbox's old 5 gal that was the star of another thread a while back. I hope to get the light and filter up and running in the next couple of days, and get some plants in about then, too. I am also looking for a suitable piece of driftwood, but haven't found one yet.

Here's the tank with gravel and rock "wall", and water. Nothing else yet.
P1000525.JPG

Looking down on the rock terrace.
P1000526.JPG

And a rather lousy picture of the terrace from the side...out of focus and doesn't at all capture the change in gravel depth! Oh well, it was late last night when I took the picture.
P1000529.JPG

Plants!...and light, filtration etc.

Picked up 2 beautiful crypts from the LFS...C. wendtii "green" in the back left and C. lutea in the back right. Don't know what the little crypts in the front left are (Jchillin? These were the ones you sent me), and some Sag from my 55 in the front right that I originally rescued from someone's tank. They grew significantly in the 55 so I hope they continue here.

I would like to add a small piece of driftwood in the back with some java moss, if I can find a piece I like. Also need a background....somehow the clutter behind the tank isn't as noticeable in person as it is in the picture.

I took a handful of biomax from my 55's AC filter, so will test the water params in a few days and then hopefully pick up some fishies. Still haven't decided what to get.

For anyone thinking of a small tank, these little tanks are nice. The filter is super quiet, you can barely hear it, which is nice if you share an office, as I do. The bulb is 10w, so I'm at about 2 wpg. Plain gravel with 3 root tabs to help the plants. I'm planning on using Excel rather than messing with CO2. Are there any stem/bunch plants that would do OK with this light? I think some different leaf shapes would look nice but most of the low light plants have similar shapes (ie crypts, java fern, anubias etc). My 55 is high light, so I can't really move anything from there, although I've got plenty of plants I could trim!

Full tank shot:
P1000570.JPG

Closeup of the plants from a different angle.
P1000575.JPG

That looks really cool!

I'm at work right now wondering why I don't have a tank on my desk. Hmmm...

Add fish....

I had added some "seasoned" biomax from my 55 gallon's filter, and tested my water a couple of days later....ammonia = 0, nitrite = 0, so here's some fish! I'm going to do a PWC tomorrow just in case, but between the Biomax and the plants all should be OK. I got a nice little school of 5 Pristella tetras...no time to get a really good pic but here's a decent one of them enjoying their new home.

P1000700.JPG

A new picture! I'm so used to the rampant growth in my high-light 55 that I don't notice the growth in this tank until I go back and look at the old pictures! Plants are coming along nicely, sorry about the green spot algae, I keep forgetting to bring a razor blade from home....the tetras are very happy and their tails are getting quite red.

P1010236.JPG

I really look forward to future updates on this tank. It's definately filling in nicely. It should look especially nice once the background finishes filling in.

I just received a C wendtii "bronze" and some moss from czcz....and I am still looking for a piece of driftwood....so I have some plans in mind for this tank. Will post updates soon! (and I promise I'll clean the spot algae before any more pictures!)

Great tank. Cutting across the hex with the rocks is a great idea. It looks so much nicer than typical hex tanks.

Here are a couple more pics...the tank hasn't changed too much, but I added a piece of driftwood to tie a small Java fern to. I need a better piece but it's hard to find a nice piece of driftwood that fits in a tank this size! The crypts are growing slowly, and the sag is having some algae issues but I can see runners growing under the gravel, although none have made it to the surface yet.

P1020868.JPG

P1020866.JPG

I have GOT TO KNOW what those cytps are! and were I can get soem! because I LOVE them and cant find any here were I live and would love to find some for my 10gall!

The little ones or the bigger ones? The big one to the left was labeled as a wendtii, and the one on the right a lutea. The little ones came from JChillin, so you'd have to ask him!

Ok, so with the recent upgrade on my saltwater tank from the 10g into the 30g, that left the 10g empty. Also, the 5.5 was really getting covered in algae and the acrylic was a mess. So yesterday I moved the contents of the 5.5 into the 10g. When pulled up the crypts had split into a ton of small plants so once they settle in it should fill in nicely.

Tank specs:
10g
Eco Complete
2 15 watt fluorescent strips (only 1 on in the pics)
AC 200 (I think would be an AC 30 now? turned down at any rate!)
will have DIY CO2 once I get it set up (hence the 1 light strip at the moment)
Crypts of various kinds, Java fern, dwarf sag.
5 pristella tetras (may add 2-3 more)
2 otos
2 habrosus cories (planning on getting a few more)

whole tank shots (sorry about the blurry second pic!):
P1030561.JPG

P1030564.JPG

closeup of right hand side with some fishies visible:
P1030568.JPG

Wow, both tanks are/were lovely.

I have a 5g I just swapped for a 20 long, and now I have a *gasp* empty tank. I wanted to take it to work, but I'm not sure they would be wild about the water changes....how do you manage it at your workplace? Or do you just work somewhere cool? :)

I love how your office tank is growing up. For those of that enjoy crypts, do you happen to know which species you have?

Back
Top Bottom