5-N-1 test strips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought these and was real disappointed. The colors just ran together and smeared, no matter what I did. Some of my results were really different too. I'll spend my money on liquid tests; hoping the strips can be perfected better.

mohican said:
I bought these and was real disappointed. The colors just ran together and smeared, no matter what I did. Some of my results were really different too. I'll spend my money on liquid tests; hoping the strips can be perfected better.

So what's better

Do I really need the strips for the ph

I agree with most of the responses here. I believe testing water parameters regularly is one of the most important things one can do to maintain a healthy tank. I also agree that the liquid kits are more accurate than the strips.

That all said, I do use strips.

I'll be honest. Sometimes I don't feel like breaking out the liquid kit and playing around with the tubes and the droppers, shaking the tube, waiting minutes for the results, etc..

In these instances, I will sometimes use the strips for a quick read -- though if my cycled tank shows anything other than zero ammonia and zero nitrite, for example, I will then get out my kit and play with the test tubes to get a more accurate reading so I know more precisely what I'm dealing with.

I don't use the strips when cycling a tank, and also don't use them to try to tell the difference between 0.5 and 1.0 ppm of ammonia, for example -- I always use the more accurate kit in those instances.

If, however, I want a quick and easy way to see if I have any ammonia at all, I will sometimes use the strips -- again, following up with the more accurate test if the strip shows any measurable amount of toxin.

All that said, if I were going to use only one or the other, it'd be the liquid test kit -- but for me, there's a place for both in my arsenal.

Best!

Back
Top Bottom