50 gallon rebuild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it possible that the biofilter is so huge its producing the nitrates super fast? And if so what kind of plants should I look for to eat these dang nitrates.

Edit

Well I've done all I can do I've change the water so many times today 3 100% changes a couple of partials to clean the filter media. Changed air tubing, cleaned the Bio wheels when I did the filter media as well as scrubbed the walls in the tank it's cleaner than its ever been lol. Now for the bad news, after all the changes I was still seeing high nitrates so I tested my tap water at different places in the house they are all the same 5-20 if I hold the tube to light bulb it's 5-10 if I just look at it normal distance it's between 10-20. Not even sure which way is the right way lol instructions just say bright light... Is that still too high? I don't want to buy fish just to kill them from nitrates...

1:00am water changes 4tw lol not sure how or why but I finished the last pwc 99% @ 1:00am tested at 2:20am

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nirate 10-20

Ph 8.2

Your done! You wont be able to drop nitrates any lower than your tap. Your nitrate level really is not that bad- I have seen people with nitrate readings of 40-80+ out of their tap. If you want to add some fast growing plants, they will help suck up the nitrates as well. Products such as Prime or Amquel Plus help to detox them as well (but not remove them). Just take your time acclimating your new fish & they will be fine! Once your tank is stocked, you will just need to monitor your nitrate levels to see how fast they rise to figure out a water change schedule to keep them in check. You may need to do water changes a bit more frequently than someone with zero tap nitrates.

First batch of fish in 10 balloon red eye tetras 3 blue Mickey mouse Platts

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120427_222827.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120427_222827.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 55
  • ForumRunner_20120427_222848.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120427_222848.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 47
  • ForumRunner_20120427_222900.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120427_222900.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 47
  • ForumRunner_20120427_222918.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120427_222918.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 46
Thnx I'm going to continue testing till I get all the fish in to see when the nitrates start to rise 2 days so far with fish in everything's the same still...

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10-20
Ph 8.2

Yep! Keep monitoring as you add fish to make sure everything stays stable. It will also give you an idea of how fast your nitrates are rising so you can figure out a water change schedule that will work for you. :)

10 neon tetras going in soon they are going through drip acclamation as I type.

6 panda corys in <they was REALLY hard to find and they are tiny! haha they disappear in the tank>

1 longfin bristle-nose pleco <also was really hard to find here! but he is a beauty and i use the term "he" lo-sly cause i have no idea what sex it is but i will try to get some pix up>

also got 1 section of wisteria wanted something big that grows fast and easy read it does lol

i know i havent had the tank up long but im already wanting to change the substrate to something black and something for plants? any suggestions?

I know alot of people use black blasting sand. No experience with it though! I have no problems growing plants in sand & know quite a few people use sand for plants as well. There are a variety speciality substrates for plants but you would need to ask in the planted tank area for advice on this! :)

So I did a 75% pwc been looking for #6 Cory I found it belly up on the gravel :( only lasted a day no sign of damage so I have no idea what happened to him :(

Any idea what could have caused it? Stress? The are like 1" so idk they are really hard to find in the tank too... never had Cory's before don't think ill buy anymore of these type that's for sure.

I honestly have no experience with cories so I am not going to be of much help. Im sure cory owners may have a better idea on what to expect & if this is a common occurence with this type of fish.

Lost a red eye tetra today also moved another one to quarantine I don't know what's going on water parameters are good

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10
Ph8.2

Back
Top Bottom