50 gallon stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bleeding hearts are cool, not my fav based on the larger body, I like the stream line look, love watching my rn's zip around in tight formation. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I actually love the wider body tetras as well. I have some black skirts as well as a large cardinal school.

Problem being they are more nippy than your standard neon or cardinal tetras. And the get larger. Not ideal for angels.

Those Angelicus Botia would probably enjoy having a larger group. Maybe adding a fee more of them is a good idea.

For the top of your tank I would maybe go with a school of 8 hatchet fish and ensure you have your tank covered if you go that route.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi how many more angelicus botia would you recommend. Also I don't exactly like hatchet fish's shape so what other fish would you suggest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would bring the number of khulis down to 8, and add 5 scissor tail rasboras. they are top dwelling but do reach 5in each. another option that wouldn't lead to overstocking would be black skirt tetras, although if they are not in a large enough school (6+) they may nip the angels.

Could I keep the kuhlis at 12, and add a group of small tetras. And add more angelicus botia? If so how many more angelicus botia. And any recommendations on a small but colorful schooling fish

Could I keep the kuhlis at 12, and add a group of small tetras. And add more angelicus botia? If so how many more angelicus botia. And any recommendations on a small but colorful schooling fish

I'll try to explain it as best as possible without trying to sound rude. Please bear with me.

If you want to use the outdated, antiquated, and poorly advised method of 1" of fish per gallon of water, then you would have no room for anything else. Example: 12 loaches @ (say 4" max size) hats 48 gallons of water. Include your substrate of (poor example again) 1 gal per inch of tank = 2 gals.
Now the angels will get to be about 6" each. And the botia about 5" overall. With the above mentioned poor 1" method, at full size you're looking at somewhere around 83 gallons. And that's the BARE MINIMUM.

The bioload, IMO, will be immense and your maintenance schedule will be a daily overload DOE. Your filtration will have to be that of somewhere equivalentto a 200g tank to keep up should you catch a cold and miss a day or two.

I would seriously consider doing a lot more research on the needs of the fish and ethical fish keeping. As I said, I'm trying to be as nice as pie to help you along but I think your recipe is one for total disaster that will result in a new thread titled "Why did my fish die all of a sudden".

Why would you look at my stocking list off of a method meant to be used as a guideline for beginners with small tanks.

It is based off the amount of oxygen available, as well as actual living space and ammonia buildup. It is not purely for beginners or "small" tanks.

He said himself that it is , his words "poorly advised method"

He should explain what he meant by that. Some people say it is that way only because it could mean a ten inch fish can fit a 10g tank. Others say you don't have to follow it exactly, but to find the "true" amount of oxygen available per tank based on footprint, and go by that for stocking. And again, some do whatever, and they forget a water change or a filter konks out for a day, and the fish die. The filter exchanges oxygen, not only cleans.

So what do you think about my stock? Any suggestions:

3 angel fish

12 kuhli loaches ( I am willing to lower this amount)

3 angelicus botia

Try it and see. You can also check AqAdvisor. I guess I just imagine the loaches all crowded, with that many.

I personally would have gotten 7 khulis, for my 55g, if I had gotten sand instead of gravel. They would have been the only loaches. With your 3 angelicus botias, I would get 4-7 khulis.

Hey op, couldn't you just drop the number of loaches to 8 total, 3 angels and 8-10 small schooling fish and call it a tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom