50g tall, inherited from my late Uncle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mosdurf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sadly, my Uncle recently passed (October) but I was lucky enough to inherit his 50g tall tank, stand, and his entire stock. He loved his tank and his fish.

I went through a mini-cycle when I brought it from PA to MD, but that lasted only a couple weeks. Religious daily water testing & water changes and a healthy dosing of Prime & aquarium salt helped most of the fish through it.

I did lose one Black Neon Tetra to ammonia poisoning, a painted Platy to a hungry Pictus, and a Red Wag Platy to cloudy eye and some type of fungus.

When the fungus took the last one, I treated the tank with Pimafix and Melafix for a week, and since then (*knock, knock*) all has been well.

I upgraded the fluorescent lights to LEDs, bought a 2nd heater to keep the water (my living room gets COLD) at a stable temp, and added some new decor, an air pump and a couple air stones.

When I lost the Red Wag Platy, her buddy hid all the time. I also had 2 male Balloon Mollies that harassed my female Dalmatian Molly. I took a trip to the LFS and got 2 more female Dalmatians and two female Red Wags. I've already had a Dalmatian Molly birth (and subsequent feast on the fry), and she's pregnant again!

I've caught the bug and love these fish - and have learned a TON from reading the forums here.

Current stock:

1 Pictus Catfish
1 Golden Gourami
1 Flame Dwarf Gourami
2 Glofish Tetras
2 Black Skirt Tetras
3 Black Neon Tetras
3 Red Wag Platies
3 Dalmatian Mollies
2 Balloon Mollies
2 Bleeding Heart Tetras (I think)

Here are some pics, and a link to the full Flickr set.

Flickr set More pics to come!

VIolE8H.jpg

Xq6Slzm.jpg

ZOIHgLi.jpg

geWz6NU.jpg

8Gn4wrt.jpg

fRdDxCe.jpg

aBoe5A1.jpg

7X0fLCH.jpg

Thanks - Iove the Gourami too - he seems so peaceful and graceful. He can be quite an a-hole though. I think he bullied my Dwarf Gourami to death. But he sure is beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom