55 cross support broke ughhhh :-(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scuba_steve

Aquarium Advice Addict
on one of my 55's i have a jbj lighting system that just rests on the tank ! well the other day i seen that the cross member was cracked at the front of the tank even with the frame! so i thought thats weird wonder why it started to separate like that ?!?!? mabe the heat of the lights?!?!? so i wasnt to worried cause it was still holding ect... and new bigger tank is needed anyway !! well friday i went to pull the lights off to clean and as soon as i lifted then up i hear snap and the tank shakes !! i was shocked for a sec !! i had an old hob wet dry that i was using as an additional fuge so it was full of water hanging on the back my guess about 40lbs!! heheh well to make a long story a bit shorter its been 2 days and the tanks still holding water thank god ! but from the cross member to the front of the tank i can fit my finger in between them !!heheh looks funny bowed out like that !! new tank coming today :) now one question ! how long could the tank hold up ya think in this condition?? my though is to use this tank as a test run and was thinking on drilling a hole half way down for a bulk head and run the tank half full as a fuge !! but keep it in the garage just in case it leaked hehehe !

At the LFS that I used to work at, they had a 180 that the cross support broke on. A carpenter came with this tool that slowly pulled it back to where it should be and they glued a wide piece of plexiglass into the center. They left it clamped in place for a week and then removed the thingy that pulled it together. This was holding quite nicely the last time I saw it. Maybe you could repair your 55 in a similar manner.

oh, one other thing, they did feel the need to drain half the water out while doing this..I asked why and they had said less stress on the glass.

the tank i thought i had fell thru !! but tank still holding (fingers crossed everyday )
thanks for the links think i will try to fix it !

Back
Top Bottom