55 gal, lower light trial continues, 9/24/07, new pics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, took some more pics so thought I'd add....tank hasn't changed too much in the last month. I thinned out some of the plants, especially the H salicifolia which had gotten huge. The moss, Ludwigia brevipes and the H micranthemoides have taken off in the last few weeks. Enjoy!

P1030319.JPG

P1030320.JPG

P1030326.JPG

P1030360.JPG

Love the colours, mix of plants, everything! Absolutely gorgeous.
We are lucky to have some very talented people around here, you are one of them. :)

That is an impressive use of H. micranthemoides (and a very beautiful tank!) :) Do you have any problems keeping the micranthemoides short for carpeting? I've never seen anyone able to keep it down like that. I love it.

I actually don't do anything to the H micranthemoides....it just grows like that on its own. I have pretty high light, and I think that forces it to creep.

New pictures! The tank had gotten very overgrown (sorry forgot to take a pic before I ripped into it) so it was time for an overhaul. I turned the driftwood to point towards the front of the tank, removed some of the moss, and opened up the center of the tank a little, added another rock there. I pulled out 4 gallon ziploc bags of plants, which went to no less than five AA members! Even with removing all that plant mass the tank doesn't exactly look empty, mostly everything is just shorter....but it was really bad, took me several minutes to yank out the tangle of Hygrophila that had rooted INTO the java moss and wound through 3 or 4 other plants!

Whole tank:
P1030784.JPG

Left:
P1030787.JPG

Center:
P1030789.JPG

Right:
P1030785.JPG

A cool pic of the sunset hygro before it came out:
P1030662.JPG

Wow! The tank is looking great and those are some great pictures too!

I love how you're using different colors and textures in this tank. It creates a lot of variety for the eye to enjoy and study. Really hard to look away from.

What type of moss are you using on the driftwood?

Purrbox, it's just Java moss (I think....I got it from someone here!), although there is something else mixed in with it that has flat blade like leaves (almost looks more like it should be in my SW tank). That type doesn't show, though, as it's in the back. The moss grew slowly at first and then just took off, I've pulled off large handfuls several times now.

Some new pics! not too many changes, pulled out a lot of the moss as it had gone wild. The big crypt in the middle is putting out lots of babies now. The H micranthemoides has grown over itself and is starting to look ratty, I think I need to pull out the whole lot and replant some good stems and let it start over, but haven't quite gotten brave enough to do it!

P1040193.JPG

P1040194.JPG

P1040195.JPG

P1040196.JPG

P1040199.JPG

P1040201.JPG

P1040209.JPG

Oh my, you have Rotala Mac in there, and it's actually growing! Nice colour as well!
Beautiful tank :)

Back
Top Bottom