55 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spiketooth

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got tetras that were sick from the store. 9 out of the 30 had died and prob more down the road. So i return them all and realize tetras not for me there too small. So i was looking through a book to order some and came up with this. 3 red discuss 3 blue discuss 3 angel fish and two plecos (get to be 10 cm big). Any thoughts on this. I would greatly appriciate it. Also this is a few weeks down before i do this i need to free my tank of ich

Haha if you've purchased discus thinking they'd be more sturdy you've made a bad call.

In addition three angels is a bad number if you get a pair.

In addition make sure your plecos are Bristlenose plecos.

No, i was going for less number of fish but bigger size. Trying to count all of them was hard work but this why i posted the question to get peoples opinions. The pleco gets to be 10-14 cm i belive

So i went to this website that tells you filtration % stocking % temp to keep the water and what not. When i selected tank size it showed the messurement. It did not look right at all so i grab a tape messure and input that into the website. I guess i have like 75 gal not a 55 o.0

That sounds like a good stock list but I think six discuss fish is way too many for a 75 gallon tank. If they are small then they will be OK for a while but as they grow, especially with adding angels, a 75 gallon setup will be too small. I had taken two discuss from a friend and put them in my 75 and it wasn't long before I had to move them to my 250. They get big and they also get territorial, they will get stressed and sick and you will run into problems down the road.

This website said i am at my stocking percent. 5 discuss 4 altum angels ans 1 queen pleco(l260)

I would do more research into discuss before you stock your tank.

Definitely, I've never kept them, but I've looked into it. I have goldfish instead. They are very forgiving for a lazy, at times, caregiver. :ROFLMAO:

Hi spiketooth,
Here is a good article on Discus care:

Discus Pro - Discus fish care

I am not trying to discourage you from keeping Discus but it is important to understand that they do have specific care requirements. My friend has a 500g tank and he had several Discus. It is almost like a sub-culture in the hobby. They are cool and beautiful fish to keep. Just know what you are getting into. :)

All right look like i am not getting discus, still a little new to the fish world. I think they are beatiful looking fish. Would you another kind of fish that would look nice in my tank. Any suggestions?

Loads of choices, are you thinking of small schooling fish? Or 1 or 2 larger fish?

Convicts are cool.
OR maybe some African Cichlids.

No schools, hard to count them. Like 10 fish max. I liked the altum angels they have here, would like a different kind as well

No problem, that's what this site is for. Have you looked at dwarf gouramis, neon or columbian tetras? Whatever you decide do your research before you go to your LFS. Through research pick a few and then see what your shop has. They will probably be willing to order some for you too.

Back
Top Bottom