55 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gaurweth

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am going to buy a 55 gal tank but want to know which fish to get. Will a few Senegal Bichir be alright with some bala sharks and an African Butterfly fish?

Hi - welcome !!

Cycling your tank means building up the good bacteria that are needed to process the waste products from your fish (particularly the ammonia that is produced). You need these good bacteria to break down the ammonia, or else your fish will die. If you cycle WITH fish you'll need to add only a few very hardy fish and then wait for the good bacteria to grow - to keep the fish from dying you'll need to do ALOT of water changes (ie: alot of work !).

Fishless cycling uses either pure ammonia (do a search on all terms "pure ammonia" to get past posts on the subject) or a decaying shrimp.

Here are two articles to get you started so that you can understand the need to cycle a tank before you add fish:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

Good luck ! and again, WELCOME :)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Bala Sharks grow much too big for a 55 gal tank. They also need to be in schools. African Butterflyfish are pretty cool. I had them for a while and they were entertaining to watch. Mine were pretty peaceful but YMMV. The Birchir I'm afraid grows to about 12" in size. I've never kept them before so hopefully someone can chime in who has experience.

Yep balas get to be about 14 inches, they are schoolers, and they are timid fish who may hit their heads on the glass, so a big tank is needed. A 125g would be minimum for a school of 4-5.

Alright, will a Bichir be compatable with a African Butterfly fish?

If not can I put a Bichir in with Comet goldfish or any goldfish at all?

I have not bought the fish or the tank yet and it will be awhile before I actually get the fish after I get the tank. Leaving me time to cycle the tank.

Alright, I can finally tell my friend's son no. ^^ Thank you! Now here comes my question.

Can I put...
2 Senegal Bichirs
2 Black Ghost Knifefish
and 2 African Butterfly fish together?

(Sorry I truly am a newbie!)

I believe BGKs get about 16-20 inches long, so a 55g wouldn't be big enough for a permanent home. I'd just get one, but plan on upgrading within a year or so (or whenever it gets around 12 inches).

The bichirs will also hit about 12 inches, so I'd plan on a bigger tank for them in the future also.

The ABFs should be fine. Just don't keep any small tetras with any of these fish.

Back
Top Bottom