55 Gal VS 75 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiGuru

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys; right now I have a 10 gal and a 29 gal concurrently, however, after becoming a little more financially secure, I am about to take the step up to a slightly larger aquarium, ideally in the shape of a 55 or a 75 gallon tank. After shopping today I found some pretty okay deals on 55 gallons; 55 gallon tanks for $69.99 and aquarium starter kits for $150 or so. However, I really have my heart set on a 75 gallon; the only problem with this is that the 75's that I have been able to locate down here are SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive, one place selling them for $220, and another for $169...I really want a 75, but I'm not sure if I want a 75 gallon to go so far above and beyond the cost of a 55 for it. Is another fifteen gallons really worth another hundred dollars? Is there really that big of a gap between the sizes, species, and amount of fish you can keep in one versus another to warrant the jump in cost? I'm really torn on this one...

Also, there was a pretty okay sale on a 60 gallon with a lid and a stand for around $300 or so; my only problem with it was that it looked a little shorter than the 75, which I would definitely prefer a longer tank versus taller. On the display thing it said 48 by something, but next to the 48 it had a w as opposed to an l...I know the thing was not 48 inches wide, but at the same time, it did not look 48 inches long either, as it was DEFINITELY taller than the 75. I have no clue what the w stood for.

Anyways, any comments, tips, or suggestions to put my mind and heart at ease? Seriously, any advice is more than welcome, and any thoughts on the 60 gallon is welcome to :). Please and thank you!

Just talked to a guy on Craigslist about a 120 Gal and stand for $220; guy needs the tank out of his house and is willing to let go of it for such a low price so long as we can get it out of there.

Does anyone have any experience getting tanks via Craigslist? The tank is still up and running and is full of cichlids, so I should be able to tell if it has any leaks or anything like that, which I already asked about and he says it doesn't.

Also, does anyone have any experience moving tanks of this size? I am definitely a little worried about how I am going to move this thing, but am excited at the opportunity, for sure.

Just talked to a guy on Craigslist about a 120 Gal and stand for $220; guy needs the tank out of his house and is willing to let go of it for such a low price so long as we can get it out of there.

Does anyone have any experience getting tanks via Craigslist? The tank is still up and running and is full of cichlids, so I should be able to tell if it has any leaks or anything like that, which I already asked about and he says it doesn't.

Also, does anyone have any experience moving tanks of this size? I am definitely a little worried about how I am going to move this thing, but am excited at the opportunity, for sure.

I have moved many tanks that size. My suggestion is think about your stock you want. You can sell the cichlids or call around fish stores to see if you can trade them in for store credit which can be very helpful. Just go to home depot and pick up several 5 gallon buckets. Probably about 5. That will mean you have some for the fish and some for the decor. Drain as much water as possible and have enough water at home to fill it back up. I always just leave the sand/gravel in the tank and drain as much water out as you can. Just make sure the substrate stays wet the complete ride so you dont kill the bacteria. Same with the filter. Then the rest is just breaking it down loading it in a truck and bringing it home and setting it back up. Sounds like its ez but after this you wont want to do it again. Pain in a butt is what it is. Just make sure you have everything ready at home (water and have the place your gonna put it picked and cleared out). Wish you the best of luck and here at AA we LOVE picks so dont forgot to post them. ;)

Also welcome to AA. :wave:

Back
Top Bottom