55 gallon Aqueon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhillieSniper115

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been looking for tanks and a company I've come to know and trust is aqueon. They make good and affordable products and make kits for ten to I believe 100 gallon tanks correct me if I'm wrong. I was looking to get a 55 gallon wen I get the money. A LFS has a current sale on fish tanks and the deal is a 55 gallon for 149.99 plus tax and 25 dollars of purchase of fish. Sadly I plan on getting the tank after Christmas and the sale ends 10/31/11. But otherwise the tank is 249.99 if I'm not mistaken. The kit comes with everything you need to start ur aquarium including water conditioner, gravel and a filter cartrage. So wat do u guys think about Aqueon? I encourage feedback and criticism that's wat this post is for.

Thanx and good luck!

GhillieSniper115 said:
I've been looking for tanks and a company I've come to know and trust is aqueon. They make good and affordable products and make kits for ten to I believe 100 gallon tanks correct me if I'm wrong. I was looking to get a 55 gallon wen I get the money. A LFS has a current sale on fish tanks and the deal is a 55 gallon for 149.99 plus tax and 25 dollars of purchase of fish. Sadly I plan on getting the tank after Christmas and the sale ends 10/31/11. But otherwise the tank is 249.99 if I'm not mistaken. The kit comes with everything you need to start ur aquarium including water conditioner, gravel and a filter cartrage. So wat do u guys think about Aqueon? I encourage feedback and criticism that's wat this post is for.

Thanx and good luck!

The filter that comes with it is probably the quiet flow 55/75.... if so, the filter may not be enough filtration.

Aqueon is actually a pretty good company, In My Experience.

I personally like to use (Beside AC filters) their smaller aqueon HOB filters for smaller tanks (Usually most of the bigger ones make more noise so I don't use any of those).

I have never used an aquarium kit, but before you go to setting the whole thing up, make sure the filter that is provided has enough GPH to support the tank. If it doesn't, I recommend that you go out and either buy another filter (To double up the GPH) or get a Canister filter that can support the tank alone.

Regards.

Its a good bundle. The flourescent hood can only handle low light plants. Filtration sucks so you will have to add a powerhead (mechanical filter) to get a good flow. You might want sand more than gravel. All the stuff in the bottle will be small. Honestly, i think it will be a good starter kit, but most of us would replace a lot of stuff in those starter kit (i would probably only keep the tank and hood) everything else would be upgraded. I think you should only buy these kinds of packages when you're just getting started in this hobby and dont know if you will want to stick with this hobby in the long term. These packages gets you started without getting you overwhelmed.

I like aqueon for the pro heater and good affordable tanks (when on sale lol).

PHP said:
Aqueon is actually a pretty good company, In My Experience.

I personally like to use (Beside AC filters) their smaller aqueon HOB filters for smaller tanks (Usually most of the bigger ones make more noise so I don't use any of those).

I have never used an aquarium kit, but before you go to setting the whole thing up, make sure the filter that is provided has enough GPH to support the tank. If it doesn't, I recommend that you go out and either buy another filter (To double up the GPH) or get a Canister filter that can support the tank alone.

Regards.

How do I find out if is enough filtration

maxwellag said:
The filter that comes with it is probably the quiet flow 55/75.... if so, the filter may not be enough filtration.

I'll c if it is it might not be. If so is it possible to use 2 filters at onces

I'll c if it is it might not be. If so is it possible to use 2 filters at onces

Probably, but it depends on the space the hood allows in the back. You should go look at it to make sure it will...
woops, i double posted.... sorry

maxwellag said:
Probably, but it depends on the space the hood allows in the back. You should go look at it to make sure it will...
woops, i double posted.... sorry

Might Be double hood idk

maxwellag said:
Thats why you should go look @ it in a store

I am look I can't go now like I said it might run on one very powerful filter or two filters idk. I'll have to see but I think its one verypowerful filter but the tank has 2 hoods

Terrance said:
Its a good bundle. The flourescent hood can only handle low light plants. Filtration sucks so you will have to add a powerhead (mechanical filter) to get a good flow. You might want sand more than gravel. All the stuff in the bottle will be small. Honestly, i think it will be a good starter kit, but most of us would replace a lot of stuff in those starter kit (i would probably only keep the tank and hood) everything else would be upgraded. I think you should only buy these kinds of packages when you're just getting started in this hobby and dont know if you will want to stick with this hobby in the long term. These packages gets you started without getting you overwhelmed.

I like aqueon for the pro heater and good affordable tanks (when on sale lol).

I won't have to worry about lighting the tank will be near a window. And yes I know about the algae If I has to I will cover a side of the tank with blak paper like I did to my ten gal

Aqueon started as AGA; All Glass Aquariums, which built aquariums for many years. Aqueon came into being when AGA decided it needed to branch out beyond just aquariums. While the package deal is a good general price, I personally would be more inclined to take advantage of Pet Cos dollar a gallon sale and pick up a tank for $55 and change. Then you can pick out the accessories that you desire. If you are at the point of upgrading in the hobby it always saves you money in the long run to buy what you really want. Talk to the LFS about putting together a package deal for you with the aquarium and accessories that you want instead of the prepackaged deal from Aqueon. Many LFSs will work with you on an individual package deal.

Wy Renegade said:
Aqueon started as AGA; All Glass Aquariums, which built aquariums for many years. Aqueon came into being when AGA decided it needed to branch out beyond just aquariums. While the package deal is a good general price, I personally would be more inclined to take advantage of Pet Cos dollar a gallon sale and pick up a tank for $55 and change. Then you can pick out the accessories that you desire. If you are at the point of upgrading in the hobby it always saves you money in the long run to buy what you really want. Talk to the LFS about putting together a package deal for you with the aquarium and accessories that you want instead of the prepackaged deal from Aqueon. Many LFSs will work with you on an individual package deal.

Hmm wen does that sale at petco end? Remember I'm probably getting the tank in november/December so if it's short term, idk. And also how does a package deal work

Hmm wen does that sale at petco end? Remember I'm probably getting the tank in november/December so if it's short term, idk. And also how does a package deal work

The $1 per gallon sale at PetCo is a annual sale. I can't tell you when it starts or when it ends or even if its going on right now. I just know that they have the sale every year. As for a package deal, I assume its probably different for every LFS to some degree, but basically, when I'm ready to buy a tank, I do my research ahead of time, find out exactly what items I want as far a filtration, lights, pumps, heaters etc. and the size of the tank. I then do my research online (Fosters and Smith, Bulk Reef Supply, etc.) Once I know what the whole bundle would cost me online, I go to my LFS and say, "here is what I want, here is the total of what it would cost me to buy everything online and have it shipped, tell me if can meet or beat that price for the same thing.

Wy Renegade said:
The $1 per gallon sale at PetCo is a annual sale. I can't tell you when it starts or when it ends or even if its going on right now. I just know that they have the sale every year. As for a package deal, I assume its probably different for every LFS to some degree, but basically, when I'm ready to buy a tank, I do my research ahead of time, find out exactly what items I want as far a filtration, lights, pumps, heaters etc. and the size of the tank. I then do my research online (Fosters and Smith, Bulk Reef Supply, etc.) Once I know what the whole bundle would cost me online, I go to my LFS and say, "here is what I want, here is the total of what it would cost me to buy everything online and have it shipped, tell me if can meet or beat that price for the same thing.

So ur bargaining

So ur bargaining

Absolutely! And most times the LFS will be happy to give you a deal that is very close to what you could have gotten it for on the internet. After all, they do want your business. Just make sure they aren't subbing in subpar equipment for what you want, in order to cut their costs.

Wy Renegade said:
Absolutely! And most times the LFS will be happy to give you a deal that is very close to what you could have gotten it for on the internet. After all, they do want your business. Just make sure they aren't subbing in subpar equipment for what you want, in order to cut their costs.

Wait wats subpar equipment ?

Wait wats subpar equipment ?

subpar means the quality isn't as good. Most aquarium stores will carry a low end, medium, and high end version of most aquarium equipment. If you go in asking for the high end stuff, and they offer you a cut deal with the low end stuff, they are subbing in subpar equipment.

Wy Renegade said:
subpar means the quality isn't as good. Most aquarium stores will carry a low end, medium, and high end version of most aquarium equipment. If you go in asking for the high end stuff, and they offer you a cut deal with the low end stuff, they are subbing in subpar equipment.

Ok so let's say I ask for this package and the filter I want is a high power filter (idk the exact filtration vocabulay) used for a 55 gal. I ask for the one that is the good one I need. But they can slip me a cheap price of crap high power filter. Right or wrong?

Back
Top Bottom