55 Gallon Build! First Big Tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WendiDell said:
I have to use a short ladder to reach even the middle of one of my 55g tanks. It's a combination of a tall stand and a tall tank and a not so tall person, 5'4". The tank and stand together are 5'8". I haven't finished stocking it yet, I'll put up pictures when I finish.

OK, you win :p

I just finished setting up my first tabk over 30g, a 55 was interesting to decorate. I used a bunch of rocks from outside and purchased about 100 in cichlid stones and my 55 is full now. I keep cichlids so rocky caves etc is what I was going for. Here's my 55 if it gives you any ideas altho ur fish may come from a different environment

I love those cichlid rocks! I almost got some but got driftwood instead. How much did you spend total on the rocks?

Oops double post for attachment...

I have a question about your Black cichlid. I just got three new little Mbunas, they have Blackish bodies with Blue fins and tail. Their Dorsal fin is blue but it has the black zig zag on the edge like electric yellow labs. They are gorgeous but I don't know what kind they are.
But they do resemble your black cichlid. Does he have any similar color and markings? Either way what kind of cichlid is he?
I'd put up pics. but they are to small & fast right now. All I get is a shadowy blur.

mjc11 said:
I love those cichlid rocks! I almost got some but got driftwood instead. How much did you spend total on the rocks?

100 total. All real rocks on bottom were free, got from outside. Topped off with cichlid stones because they are lighter and I didn't want to displace any more water. Once they get algae on them all I'm hoping it will all blend in better.

When I first set this tank up tho, I definnately felt like it was huge. I used the decore and gravel from my 2 30g's but it just looked empty, plus my fish fought alot. Here's when I first set it up

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110406_213451.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110406_213451.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 66
WendiDell said:
I have a question about your Black cichlid. I just got three new little Mbunas, they have Blackish bodies with Blue fins and tail. Their Dorsal fin is blue but it has the black zig zag on the edge like electric yellow labs. They are gorgeous but I don't know what kind they are.
But they do resemble your black cichlid. Does he have any similar color and markings? Either way what kind of cichlid is he?
I'd put up pics. but they are to small & fast right now. All I get is a shadowy blur.

Sounds like the reverse of a socolofi I had lol, I'm not sure what you have though, see what the pic looks like

My fish is mostly black, and other times striped. Has a gold/yellowish tint on belly and botton of the tail fin, I think its a male bumblebee, but open to opinions.

And of course I need to post pics lol! These are pictures I just happen to have that he is in.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110406_214035.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110406_214035.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 65
  • ForumRunner_20110406_214102.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110406_214102.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 55
Sounds like the reverse of a socolofi I had lol, I'm not sure what you have though, see what the pic looks like

My fish is mostly black, and other times striped. Has a gold/yellowish tint on belly and botton of the tail fin, I think its a male bumblebee, but open to opinions.

And of course I need to post pics lol! These are pictures I just happen to have that he is in.

Now that I've seen yours up close, there's no resemblance at all to my new babies. I do have a older female that looks just like yours though. I posted a help ID please and no one had any idea's. So all I know is she's from Lake Malawi and I like her because she's different.
That's way I bought the 3 little Black Cichlids with blue fins. I'd never seen any like them before. The fish guy (Matt) who normally is a great resource, shocking I know, didn't now what they were. When he ordered the Malawi Cichlids, he asked their supplier to send some that were unusual.
So I now have 3 black with bright blue fins and the Electric Yellow Lab zig zag on their dorsal fin and 3 white ones (not albinos) with blue/grey stripes and the same zig zag on their dorsal fin.
No clue what the are but they look cool.

I wanna see these fish! They sound awesome. I'm not much of a resource outside the types I have in my tank lol.

Update for today:

My Tiger Barb decided to invade my rainbow shark's home and kept on coming back to play. Rainbow shark was quite displeased :(

On a happier note, I was finally able to move my male betta to my empty 10 gallon with a heater! ^_^

Pics coming soon!

I wanna see these fish! They sound awesome. I'm not much of a resource outside the types I have in my tank lol.

As soon as they are big enough and slow down enough I will post pictures. They are really cool looking. I only hope I can capture their true colors. Sometimes pictures change what a fish really looks like. Right now they are only about an inch long and soooo fast, I haven't been able to get anything but blurs and smudges where fish should be, but I'll keep trying.

Here is a picture of my female cichlid that looks like yours. She's darker than in the picture and her stripes are much more defined. It's not a great picture but hopefully you can see why I think she looks a lot like your.
This is Charlize, she really is darker and has that kind of yellow/gold tummy and really dark stripes, but you'd never know that by my crummy photography:(.

Nice fish. Do you know what the one with a yellow/black belly is? The small one in the last photo looks like a kenyi, possibly female. Is that right?

Nice fish. Do you know what the one with a yellow/black belly is? The small one in the last photo looks like a kenyi, possibly female. Is that right?

No I don't, I even put up a "HELP ID PLEASE" and no one knew. She's pretty though and fairly mellow, compared to some Mbunas.
And yes the smaller one is a female Kenyi, she's much bigger now. I had a male Kenyi that was beautiful but I lost him to a killer Red Zebra. I took the Red Zebra back to the FS.

Wow!! He was stunning! I hope the female turns out well! Is the red a beautiful fish?

Wow!! He was stunning! I hope the female turns out well! Is the red a beautiful fish?

Ya, he was becoming a perfect male Kenyi specimen, with a deep rich color. I was devastated when the male Red Zebra killed him. I didn't know what to do. Then 2 days later he killed a female Blue Cobalt. In one swipe, the Red Zebra took out a large chunk of her side. It was awful. I called the FS where I got him, and they took him back the next day.
In 1 week he had killed 9 fish, all female except for Kenny (the male Kenyi).
I've been rebuilding my livestock ever since. It's tough trying to get only females. I swore I'd never get another male Red Zebra and in trying to get the females, I've ended up with 2 more males. They are still young and not causing to much trouble, but they are causing some. So Fred and Simon will be going back to the FS too. I've decided to not have any Red Zebras at all, it's easier.

So sad! Will you remind me what tanks you have running? Is it just a cichlids? Or do you have others?

Back
Top Bottom